Double-slit experiment, one slit covered with glass

In summary, the problem involves a double-slit experiment with a He-Ne laser of wavelength 633 nm and a thin glass slide of thickness 12.0 um covering one of the slits. The central fringe shifted to where the 10th dark fringe was originally located. The goal is to determine the refractive index of the glass. The approach is to calculate the optical path length for the two rays when the slide is present and set them equal to each other, with the only unknown being n. The solution involves taking into account the change in wavelength in the glass and using the given path difference of 10.5 wavelengths to find the real thickness of the glass. The given answer in the attached link has a misinterpretation
cep

Homework Statement

In a double-slit experiment, He-Ne laser light of wavelength 633 nm produced an interference pattern on a screen placed at some distance from the slits. When one of the slits was covered with a thin glass slide of thickness 12.0 um, the central fringe shifted to the point occupied earlier by the 10th dark fringe. What is the refractive index of the glass slide?

Here's a link to a similar problem with a figure: www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~gohlke/pedagogy/Phys133I_Diffraction.pdf[/URL]

[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]

n=c/v; [itex]\Delta[/itex]x (constructive) = m[itex]\lambda[/itex] = dsin[itex]\Theta[/itex]; [itex]\Delta[/itex]x (destructive) = (m+1/2)[itex]\lambda[/itex] = dsin[itex]\Theta[/itex]; Snell's law (maybe?)

[h2]The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]

I understand that the glass slide will slow the passage of light, thus effectively increasing [itex]\Delta[/itex]x between the two light paths. I guess i need to figure out how many wavelengths the light going through the glass is "behind" the other beam. However, I don't understand how to incorporate this into the problem. It seems to get very complicated very quickly-- since the light isn't traveling straight through the glass, the distance is not equal to the thickness of the glass. Then, the light is refracted when leaving the glass, according to Snell's law. The only examples in my textbook were very simplistic, we didn't cover anything like this in class, and I'm really not sure what to do. I tried working out the problem as indicated in the link (though they solve for the thickness of the slide, and n is given), but got like -0.5 for n (and I was suspicious of their answer anyway, because it seems to neglect so many complicating factors). Can anyone help me think about this? Thanks a lot, sorry if this post is tl;dr :).

-CEP

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's easiest to think of these problems in terms of optical path length, which is just the number of wavelengths between two points. The interference pattern is caused by light reaching a point along two different paths. For the central fringe, by definition, the optical path lengths are equal. For the first-order fringe, the difference in optical path length is ±1, and so on.

Come up with expressions for the optical path length for the two rays when the slide is present. Then set them equal to each other because you're working with the central fringe. The only unknown left should be n.

cep said:

Homework Statement

In a double-slit experiment, He-Ne laser light of wavelength 633 nm produced an interference pattern on a screen placed at some distance from the slits. When one of the slits was covered with a thin glass slide of thickness 12.0 um, the central fringe shifted to the point occupied earlier by the 10th dark fringe. What is the refractive index of the glass slide?

Here's a link to a similar problem with a figure: www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~gohlke/pedagogy/Phys133I_Diffraction.pdf[/URL]

[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]

n=c/v; [itex]\Delta[/itex]x (constructive) = m[itex]\lambda[/itex] = dsin[itex]\Theta[/itex]; [itex]\Delta[/itex]x (destructive) = (m+1/2)[itex]\lambda[/itex] = dsin[itex]\Theta[/itex]; Snell's law (maybe?)

[h2]The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]

I understand that the glass slide will slow the passage of light, thus effectively increasing [itex]\Delta[/itex]x between the two light paths. I guess i need to figure out how many wavelengths the light going through the glass is "behind" the other beam. However, I don't understand how to incorporate this into the problem. It seems to get very complicated very quickly-- since the light isn't traveling straight through the glass, the distance is not equal to the thickness of the glass. Then, the light is refracted when leaving the glass, according to Snell's law. The only examples in my textbook were very simplistic, we didn't cover anything like this in class, and I'm really not sure what to do. I tried working out the problem as indicated in the link (though they solve for the thickness of the slide, and n is given), but got like -0.5 for n (and I was suspicious of their answer anyway, because it seems to neglect so many complicating factors). Can anyone help me think about this? Thanks a lot, sorry if this post is tl;dr :).

-CEP[/QUOTE]

The problem as stated in the attachment is different to what you have written here?

Problem 1. (Knight, Chapter 22, problem 67.) A double-slit experiment is set up using a helium-neon laser ( = 633nm). Then, a very thin piece of glass (n = 1.5) is placed over one of the slits. Afterward, the central point on the screen is occupied by what had been the m = 10 dark fringe. How thick is the glass?

This does not say the central fringe has moved to where the 10th dark fringe was, it says that the central point is occupied by what had been the 10th dark fringe.

The 10th dark fringe occurred where the path difference was 10.5 wavelengths.

The physical path difference at the central point is zero. The addition of the glass merely increases the optical path length by 10.5 wavelengths.

n = 1.5 for this glass, so the wavelength in the glass is 2/3 the wavelength in air.

I will let you deal with the real wavelengths, but let's use simple numbers for example

If the wavelength in air was 3 mm, so the wavelength in glass was 2 mm, and the piece of glass was 12 mm thick - those 12 mm would represent 6 wavelengths for light in the glass, but only 4 wavelengths for light in the air.

Thus, even though the light goes straight through - a path difference of 2 wavelengths is created.

Your task now is to use the nanometre wavelength given, and the requirement for a 10.5 wavelength path difference to generate the real thickness of this glass.
Note: the printed answer on the attachment [yours? someone else's?] has the mis-interpretation also, as shown by the diagram showing the central fringe moved.
EDIT: the m = 10 dark fringe should be a path difference of 9.5 wavelengths I think - my error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Peter, my question is different as I am supposed to determine the refractive index (n) of the glass-- not the thickness of the slide. Thank you both for the responses-- very helpful. To clarify, I shouldn't be worried about the path length THROUGH the glass, just the change in wavelength? I'll keep working on it :)

cep said:
Also, Peter, my question is different as I am supposed to determine the refractive index (n) of the glass-- not the thickness of the slide. Thank you both for the responses-- very helpful. To clarify, I shouldn't be worried about the path length THROUGH the glass, just the change in wavelength? I'll keep working on it :)

Yes that's it. The piece of glass is a certain number of "wavelengths in air" thick, but 9.5 more "wavelengths in glass" thick. That enables you to get the wavelength in glass, and so the refractive index.

So is your problem the way you stated or the way the problem PeterO found is stated?

The question in the original post is copied, verbatim, from my textbook. The attachment is a solution to a similar problem, with a figure identical to the one in the book.

1. What is the purpose of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a famous scientific experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It is used to study the behavior of particles, such as electrons or photons, when they pass through two parallel slits. This experiment helps us understand the fundamental nature of particles and the role of observation in quantum mechanics.

2. How does covering one of the slits with glass affect the results of the experiment?

Covering one of the slits with glass in the double-slit experiment alters the interference pattern created by the particles passing through the slits. The glass acts as a barrier, causing the particles to behave more like particles and less like waves. This results in a different pattern on the detection screen compared to when both slits are open.

3. What is the difference between the interference pattern with both slits open and one slit covered with glass?

When both slits are open, the particles exhibit wave-like behavior and form an interference pattern on the detection screen. However, when one slit is covered with glass, the particles behave more like particles and the interference pattern disappears. Instead, a single-slit diffraction pattern is observed, which is characteristic of particles.

4. What implications does this experiment have on our understanding of the quantum world?

The double-slit experiment with one slit covered with glass challenges our classical understanding of the world, where particles are expected to behave like particles and waves like waves. It shows that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and their behavior is influenced by observation. This experiment has significant implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality.

5. Can the double-slit experiment be performed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the double-slit experiment has been performed with various particles, including electrons, neutrons, and even large molecules like buckyballs. The results have been consistent, showing that all particles exhibit wave-like behavior and interference patterns. This experiment is not limited to just light and has been an important tool in studying the quantum world and its fundamental principles.