Testing laTEX or TEX - ellipse equation

In summary, the conversation revolved around using a website for typing codes and trying the code tags. The individual also mentioned using a "how to latex" document for reference and provided a tip for using the preview feature before submitting a post.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I tried using site, https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html [Broken] but after putting in the codes and pressing enter, nothing happens. I will test by trying the code tags here:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]
[itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/itex]

For reference, I used https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Enter key just moves the cursor to the next line. Clicking outside the box on the other hand...

I wrote a few comments about the "how to latex" document and a few other things (including itex vs. tex) here.

By the way, you can start typing a post and use the preview feature to see what it would look like. No need to actually submit it.

What is laTEX or TEX?

LaTEX and TEX are both typesetting systems commonly used for creating scientific and mathematical documents. They use special codes and syntax to format text and equations in a consistent and professional manner.

How do I test laTEX or TEX?

To test laTEX or TEX, you can use a text editor such as Notepad or Sublime Text to write your code. Then, you can use a compiler such as Texmaker or Overleaf to convert your code into a PDF document. This will allow you to see the final output of your document and make any necessary adjustments.

What is the equation for an ellipse in laTEX or TEX?

The equation for an ellipse in laTEX or TEX is \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1, where a and b represent the length of the major and minor axes of the ellipse, respectively.

How do I add an ellipse equation in my document using laTEX or TEX?

To add an ellipse equation in your document, you can use the \begin{equation} and \end{equation} commands. Inside these commands, you can input the equation for an ellipse using the appropriate symbols and syntax. You can also use the \label and \ref commands to refer to the equation number in your document.

Are there any resources available for learning laTEX or TEX?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning laTEX or TEX, including online tutorials, forums, and textbooks. Some popular resources include the LaTeX Wikibook, the TeX Users Group website, and the official documentation for each software. It is also helpful to practice writing and compiling code to become more familiar with the syntax and formatting options.