Solving Asymptote Ambiguity: Find Attachment

• Thread starter Didd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asymptote
In summary, the conversation revolves around a document attached to the message and its content regarding the concept of asymptotes. The sender expresses concerns about opening attachments from strangers and requests for the document to be posted instead. The topic of domain restriction in relation to asymptotes is also brought up and discussed, with one person sharing their informal definition and the other providing feedback and suggestions for refinement. The conversation ends with gratitude for the response and discussion.
Didd
Hello

Look for the attachment and if you found any ambiguity, please reply.

Attachments

• Asymptote.doc
    47 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're crazy (or malicious) if you think I'm going to open the Word doc of a complete stranger.

Don't be lazy - post it.

What does domain restriction have to do with asymptotes ? :confused:

-gaz

btw i exported to pdf because i have no life and should be studying. :P aah the wonders of procrastination. It's amazing how clean your room gets when you have exams :rolleyes:

http://abyss.zapto.org/temp/Asymptote.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
It is informal defination. Truly, it confuses a lot if you are not patient enough to grasp the idea.

At this time, I was unable to delete the message. On other time, I might resend it with clear and formal way of prooving it. What I prsented there is , "Informal way of prooving". I appolgise for that. I on my way, was trying to make my idea very easy but the outcome is unattractive.

What you wrote looks OK to me but it's definitely not what I'm used to seeing in a proof (you're right it was very "informal") and I have a few holes to fill in (pun intended). You say that asymptotes are *the* restriction of the domain of the domain/range of a function. You also say that if the numerator of f(x) = 0 then f(x) has no asymptotes and, by your definition, no restrictions in the domain. What if the denominator is a polynomial of x of degree greater than 0? For example, f(x) = 0/(x-1) is not defined at x = 1 and therefore has a domain restriction (but you're right it isn't an asymptote) so I think you may want to refine your alternate definition of an asymptote a little. I like most of the rest of it though.

Vsage,

I am glad about your responce.

Thank you

1. What is an asymptote in mathematics?

An asymptote is a line or curve that a graph approaches but never touches. It can be thought of as the boundary or limit of a function.

2. How does asymptote ambiguity occur?

Asymptote ambiguity occurs when there are multiple possible asymptotes for a given graph or function. This can happen when the graph has multiple branches or when there are vertical or horizontal asymptotes.

3. What is the importance of solving asymptote ambiguity?

Solving asymptote ambiguity is crucial for accurately interpreting and analyzing mathematical models and functions. It allows for a better understanding of the behavior of a graph and can lead to more accurate predictions and calculations.

4. What are some methods for solving asymptote ambiguity?

One method for solving asymptote ambiguity is to find the limits of the function as it approaches the possible asymptotes. Another method is to graph the function and visually determine the behavior near the potential asymptotes.

5. Can asymptote ambiguity be avoided?

In some cases, yes. If the function is well-behaved and has a clear pattern, it may be possible to accurately determine the asymptotes without ambiguity. However, in more complex functions or graphs with multiple branches, asymptote ambiguity may be unavoidable.