Principle of equal transit times

In summary, the conversation discusses the principle of equal transit times and its role in explaining the lift forces exerted on an airfoil. The Bernoulli principle is mentioned as a simplistic explanation, but it is not applicable due to the tangential discontinuity created by the vortex behind the airfoil. The conversation also mentions the Kelvin Theorem and clarifies the meaning of a tangential discontinuity.
Munch_E
How does the principle of equal transit times works?

the Bernoulli principle explains lift by high speed = low pressure but these relays on the fact that two particles of air living the same point A will arrive at the same point B at the same time and this is explained by the "principle of equal transit times" my question is what is this principle and how does it work? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Munch_E said:
How does the principle of equal transit times works?

the Bernoulli principle explains lift by high speed = low pressure but these relays on the fact that two particles of air living the same point A will arrive at the same point B at the same time and this is explained by the "principle of equal transit times" my question is what is this principle and how does it work? :confused:

I think that the lift explanation provided by Bernoulli principle is a little bit primary and not realistic. The lift forces exerted on an airfoil comes generally from circulation considerations, more than that simplistic explanation.

About that principle you mentioned, think of the next experiment. Imagine a vertical front of fluid moving through the airfoil. All the particles have to reach simultaneusly the end of the airfoil because if not there would be a tangential discontinuity.

In fact this discontinuty exists, and it's a vortex behind the airfoil generated by the Kelvin Theorem. So that, we come up with the conclusion that such time principle is unreal and do not waste much time thinking on such a simplistic descriptions when you try to achieve an explanation about lift.

first of all I thank you for your quick and extensive answer.

but I didn't quite understand what "tangential discontinuity" means.
(english in not my native tounge =\ )

Munch_E said:
first of all I thank you for your quick and extensive answer.

but I didn't quite understand what "tangential discontinuity" means.
(english in not my native tounge =\ )

A tangential discontinuity is a discontinuity of some fluid maginitude such as velocity, density or pressure. I mean if the flow goes on x direction, a tangential discontinuity is a line such that flow magnitudes vary suddenly through "y" direction. The problem here is that just behind the airfoil the flow is no longer irrotational. Therefore, the Bernoulli principle is not applicable. A vortex is generated behind the airfoil, in part because of the principle you mentioned is not yielded, and because of the Kelvin's Theorem.

English is not my native language too. :smile:

thank's :biggrin:
now I've got it.
and by the way your english is very good :smile:

What is the Principle of Equal Transit Times?

The Principle of Equal Transit Times, also known as Galileo's Principle, states that in a uniform gravitational field, objects of different masses will fall with the same acceleration and therefore have equal transit times.

Who discovered the Principle of Equal Transit Times?

The Principle of Equal Transit Times was first proposed by Italian scientist Galileo Galilei in the 16th century.

What is the significance of the Principle of Equal Transit Times?

The Principle of Equal Transit Times is significant because it helped to disprove the Aristotelian theory that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects. It also laid the foundation for our understanding of gravity and motion.

How is the Principle of Equal Transit Times applied in modern science?

The Principle of Equal Transit Times is used in various fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is particularly useful in calculating the motion of objects in a uniform gravitational field, such as projectiles and falling objects.

Are there any exceptions to the Principle of Equal Transit Times?

There are some exceptions to the Principle of Equal Transit Times, such as in situations where air resistance or other external factors affect the motion of objects. Additionally, the principle only applies in a uniform gravitational field, so it may not hold true in extreme gravitational conditions, such as near a black hole.