Exploring Physics in Year 10: Does Newton's 1st Law Apply to a Satellite?

In summary, the centrifugal force is an inertial force in the Earth's frame of reference, but not in the satellite's frame. The only force acting on the satellite is gravity, which keeps it orbiting around Earth.
zemoth
Im an aussie in yr 10 pathway 1 physics, so I am no Newton.

However, does Newtons 1st law apply to a satellite and if so, how?(u don't have to anwer the how).

Remember please keep it fairly simple. :yuck:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zemoth said:
Im an aussie in yr 10 pathway 1 physics, so I am no Newton.

However, does Newtons 1st law apply to a satellite and if so, how?(u don't have to anwer the how).

Remember please keep it fairly simple. :yuck:

Newton's first law applies only to bodies which are either isolated,meaning the interaction with other bodies is absent/may be consiedered neglecteble,or it interaction with bodies,so that the the vector sum of all forces applied on the body by external bodies is nil.It's the case for the satellite,where are only 2 forces acting on the satellite:the centrifugal force and the (earth's attraction) gravitational force.Since the satellite rounds on a stabile orbit,you might say that it is equilibrium ans so,the first principle would apply.So the satellite would move around Earth on an stable velocity.Those satellites are called "geostationary",since their angular velocity is the same as earth's.

Daniel.

No, Newton's first law doesn't apply to satellites. The first law states that if the force applied over a body is null (or the sum of all forces applied are null) that body remains in rest or moving in straight line with constant speed.

In this case our satellite is orbiting, so there's a net force that keeps it moving that way. That's the gravity. It's a common misconception think in centrifugal force as a real force acting over the body. If it were a centrifugal force that canceled the effect of gravity, what prevents the satellite to keep moving in a straight line?

I hope my explanation is clear to you.

Evil_Kyo said:
No, Newton's first law doesn't apply to satellites. The first law states that if the force applied over a body is null (or the sum of all forces applied are null) that body remains in rest or moving in straight line with constant speed.

In this case our satellite is orbiting, so there's a net force that keeps it moving that way. That's the gravity. It's a common misconception think in centrifugal force as a real force acting over the body. If it were a centrifugal force that canceled the effect of gravity, what prevents the satellite to keep moving in a straight line?

I hope my explanation is clear to you.

My mistake,sorry.The centrifugal force is an inertial force (hence the name) and it appears only in the Earth's frame if reference.In the satellite's (which provides an inertial frame of reference) there are no inertial forces.The only one that acts is gravity.Silly me... :yuck: I'm ashamed of myself...

Gee Wizz Thnx

Hey Thnx that just saved me around 4 nights of constant migrains and sleep deprivation :biggrin:

1. How does Newton's 1st Law apply to a satellite?

Newton's 1st Law states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This law applies to a satellite in orbit around a planet because the satellite is constantly moving at a constant velocity due to the force of gravity from the planet.

2. Can a satellite change its velocity?

Yes, a satellite can change its velocity if it is acted upon by an external force. This can happen if the satellite is affected by the gravitational pull of another object or if it is propelled by thrusters.

3. What keeps a satellite in orbit around a planet?

The gravitational force between the satellite and the planet is what keeps the satellite in orbit. This force is constantly pulling the satellite towards the planet, but the satellite's velocity keeps it moving in a circular path around the planet.

4. Does the mass of a satellite affect its orbit?

Yes, the mass of a satellite does affect its orbit. The greater the mass of the satellite, the stronger the gravitational force between the satellite and the planet, which can result in a smaller orbit. However, the mass of the planet also plays a role in the size and shape of the satellite's orbit.

5. How does the distance between a satellite and a planet affect its orbit?

The distance between a satellite and a planet affects its orbit in two ways. First, the farther the distance, the weaker the gravitational force between the satellite and the planet, which can result in a larger orbit. Second, the shape of the orbit can be affected by the distance, as a closer distance can result in a more elliptical orbit while a farther distance can result in a more circular orbit.