Learning Statistical physics, which book?

In summary, the conversation is about a graduate physics student struggling to learn statistical physics and looking for recommendations for books or lecture notes. They mention specific books they have consulted and ask for help understanding the microcanonical ensemble. Several suggestions are made, including Kardar's notes and book, Reif's books, and Tong's lecture notes. The conversation ends with a recommendation for Introduction to Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics by Stowe.
silverwhale
Hello everybody,

I am a graduate physics student.
I am trying to learn statistical physics and I have extreme difficulty in learning it. I do not find good books and don't get the ideas behind the concepts.
the books I consulted where the Greiner, Kittel and Fliessbach. Books used in German universities.
Especially I have difficulties in understanding how to derive the microcanonical ensemble. And the concepts behind it. Can anyone help?
Telling me about an easy book to start with or lecture notes. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
How does Kardar compare with Reif? Does Kardar have any gaps?

Also, what about Statistical Mechanics in a Nutshell?

Last edited:

1. What is the best book for learning statistical physics?

The best book for learning statistical physics will depend on your level of understanding and the specific topics you are interested in. Some popular options include "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria and "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for beginners in statistical physics?

Yes, "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder and "A Student's Guide to Entropy" by Don S. Lemons are both great options for beginners in statistical physics.

3. What is the difference between statistical physics and thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics and statistical physics are two closely related fields, but they focus on different aspects of physical systems. Thermodynamics deals with macroscopic properties of matter, such as temperature and pressure, while statistical physics studies the microscopic behavior of particles that make up a system.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to learn statistical physics?

A strong mathematical background is definitely helpful in understanding statistical physics, as it involves complex mathematical concepts such as probability theory and calculus. However, many introductory textbooks provide a basic overview of the necessary mathematical tools for understanding the subject.

5. Can you recommend any online resources for learning statistical physics?

Some great online resources for learning statistical physics include MIT's OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. There are also many YouTube channels and online forums dedicated to discussing and explaining concepts in statistical physics.