Understanding Black Holes: Quantum Physics and Hawking Radiation Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about quantum physics and black holes, particularly the effects of gravity on entangled particles and the process of black hole evaporation through Hawking radiation. The speaker is seeking clarification on whether the extreme forces of a supermassive black hole would break the entangled state of particles. They also express confusion about the particle and anti-particle pair creation near the radius of a black hole and the potential for the black hole to absorb equal amounts of particles and anti-particles, resulting in no net energy difference. The speaker is encouraged to search for previous discussions on black holes on a forum for further understanding.
serp777
Hey everyone,
I have some questions about quantum physics and black holes.

For starters, what happens to an entangled particle as it enters a super massive black hole? Would gravity just break the entangled state because of the extreme forces? The only issue i see with that is that entangled particles were made here on earth, which obviously has gravity, and those entangled particles weren't affected (to my knowledge). However, i realize that much stronger gravity could break the entangled state. Also, I am confused about the evaporation of black holes via hawkings radiation. As i understand it, a particle and anti particle pair are created on the Planck scale very close to the radius of a black hole; when the black hole absorbs the anti particle, it losses mass. However, why wouldn't the black hole also abosrb the regular particle, and emit the anti particle as radiation? Statistically, it seems that the black hole would absorb equal amounts of particle, and anti particles, which would result in a net energy difference of 0. My understanding could be completely wrong, so thank you in advance for spending the time to educate someone ignorant in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
you might find it interesting to do a forum search on black holes. Your questions have been answered here numerous times and you'll see other interesting stuff as well.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

How big can black holes be?

Black holes can range in size from being as small as an atom to as large as billions of times the mass of our sun. The size of a black hole depends on the amount of matter that it has consumed.

What happens if you fall into a black hole?

If you were to fall into a black hole, you would experience what is known as "spaghettification". This is when the intense gravitational forces would stretch your body into long, thin strands as you approach the center of the black hole.

Can black holes die?

Yes, black holes can die, but it would take an extremely long time. Through a process called Hawking radiation, black holes slowly lose mass over time and eventually evaporate completely. However, this process can take trillions of years for a black hole to completely disappear.

Do black holes suck everything into them?

No, black holes do not suck everything into them. The gravitational pull of a black hole only affects objects that are close enough to be within its event horizon, which is the point of no return. Objects that are far enough away from the black hole will not be affected by its gravity.