Brunei's Response to the 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
In summary, an 8.9 magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia on Sunday, triggering massive tidal waves that slammed into villages and seaside resorts across Asia. Thousands of people have died, with the death toll expected to rise as rescue operations continue.
recon
JAKARTA, Indonesia - The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years triggered massive tidal waves that slammed into villages and seaside resorts across Asia on Sunday, killing an estimated 3,000 people in five countries.

Click http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041226/ap_on_re_as/indonesia_earthquake for more.

_40665113_detailedmap.gif

Brunei, is ok, as you can see. (pst..Brunei talking here. I'm located north of Borneo. See that pint sized piece of land somewhere in the centre...that's me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CNN is estimating 1000 deaths.
Tha number seems kind of small to me for an 8.9 quake.

story.car.ap.jpg

:eek: magnitude 8.9 ! :eek:

I'm glad you are safe!

Don't forget to have a rubber ring at hand in case of emergency :wink:

I'm so scared that I even misspelled 'all right'.

Recon, I'm so glad that you are ok!

I hope Moni is alright, but I believe he lives in Bangladesh, they weren't hit too hard.

They're predicting as many as 10,000 dead.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=360779

WOW! That is one powerful quake.

I'm glad that you're okay recon.

Oh! recon! Please stay safe! Do you want me to rev up the RV and come get you? You'll be safe with us! :smile: We love you and I'm praying for your country's safety. OK? :!) :!) :!)

You're driving to Brunei? I had better put the really big tires on the RV.

Don't worry about the tires, dear. It's a Mach VI Supersonic Turbo RV - PLUS!111 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: The wheels never even touch the road!1111

glad to see you got off okay...

i was so scared when i felt the effects of that earthquake, but i feel so sad, because my friend's house was flooded, half the house has gone, cause he lives right near the beach...

but what makes me even more sad is that right near the beach during the weekends these little children play cricket, when i walk near the beach on sundays, i usually see them, but today they all died.. :frown: but luckily, i didn't go there today..

about 2000 died in my state alone in what has turned out to be the largest earthquake in 40 years...

they are still searching bodies and identifying them, so i am hoping my friends aren't among the dead..

Last edited:
Hey recon, we just drove by the Home Depot and waved back.

Last edited:
klusener said:
glad to see you got off okay...

i was so scared when i felt the effects of that earthquake, but i feel so sad, because my friend's house was flooded, half the house has gone, cause he lives right near the beach...

but what makes me even more sad is that right near the beach during the weekends these little children play cricket, when i walk near the beach on sundays, i usually see them, but today they all died.. :frown: but luckily, i didn't go there today..

about 2000 died in my state alone in what has turned out to be the largest earthquake in 40 years...

they are still searching bodies and identifying them, so i am hoping my friends aren't among the dead..
OMG! klusener! I'm so glad you are OK! Where do you live? Did you actually feel the quake itself? I'm so sorry this has happened :frown: and, oh my gosh, all of those children... :cry: :cry: Let us know if there is any way we can help. OK?

Klusener, that's terrible. We will be thinking about you all and hoping for the best. Lots of help is on the way.

People live right down on the ocean edge, so no wonder so many of them die.
Population increase only leads to many more disasters.
How did Bangladesh went thru this one?

very few deaths, only in double figures i think..

a picture of the some of the dead in a chennai hospital

028105.jpg

i really don't think you can actually capture the feel of the tsunami in this pic, but this is the aftermath as the water was leaving...

028108.jpg

klusener, that is so terrible, but I am glad that you are ok. I can't even imagine what people there are going through.

I assume that people there do not have insurance for rebuilding? Being a naive American, I thought homeowners insurance was universal, but my best friend lives in Sicily where they also have violent earthquakes, and he explained to me that people there don't have insurance on their homes. I was amazed.

The pictures of the children are heartbreaking.

Could nuclear detonation underwater cause tsunami?

amazingly enough, there are statues of gandhi and other people right next to the beach, none of them were even harmed.. also there are two memorials for famous chief ministers of the state, none of those memorials were also harmed... the water just gushed past these places..

I am truly sitting here crying looking at those pictures. My heart is just breaking into little pieces.

Klusener, where are you located? How strong was the quake at your location?

Evo said:
I hope Moni is alright, but I believe he lives in Bangladesh, they weren't hit too hard.
[/url]
Moni lives in Chittagong, which is located at the coastal side of Bangladesh..

Oh, NOOO! Did they get hit?? I have to go check a map!

Oh. OK. Whew. I don't know why I always picture Bangladesh as east of India and a bit inland - not on the coast, but thank goodness it's west of India. I can't keep my geography straight on that side of the world unless I check my atlas. :rolleyes: I check my atlas a LOT!111 :biggrin: I've been learning a lot about Canada's geography lately... :wink:

uhm.. Bangladesh IS east of India and a bit inland... which map did you check :uhh:? :wink:
But I hope they're not too hard hit.

According to recon's map in the first post, Bangladesh is east of India but not inland. :wink: (hmm, I thought it was inland too)

(Tsu: would that be your other east? :biggrin: )

plover said:
According to recon's map in the first post, Bangladesh is east of India but not inland. :wink: (hmm, I thought it was inland too)

(Tsu: would that be your other east? :biggrin: )
She has a sore throat and as we all know sense of direction is reversed when you're sick.

Also, doesn't it depend on if you're facing right or left?

does this earthquake have any relation to the ring of fire? it seems that the ring of fire is more active as of recent months.

i hope all of our members from this region are okay.

Kerrie said:
does this earthquake have any relation to the ring of fire? it seems that the ring of fire is more active as of recent months.
Yes. Marcus posted this more technical reference to the earthquake here. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57841

The death toll is now over 11,600 and climbing, very sad.

Last edited:
Monique said:
uhm.. Bangladesh IS east of India and a bit inland... which map did you check :uhh:? :wink:
But I hope they're not too hard hit.

Er... this one:

http://geography.about.com/library/cia/blcbangladesh.htm

Which, upon second look, shows that India is both east AND west of Banglasdesh!

Hmmmm... Well, I'm on cold drugs... :rofl: Nothing about me can be trusted right now... :rofl: :rofl:

But it looks like where Moni lives might not be getting direct hits?? I've seen numerous maps today of the epicenter location, but some have shown it to be closer to the north end of Sumatra - which would explain how Thailand got hit so badly... Hope he's doin' OK... :frown:

tumor said:
Could nuclear detonation underwater cause tsunami?
If I say yes.. will you try it? :uhh:

Does anyone know what caused the quake.I live about 10 km from the malaysian west coast but felt some slight shaking at around 9 am (malaysian time).

kaos said:
Does anyone know what caused the quake.I live about 10 km from the malaysian west coast but felt some slight shaking at around 9 am (malaysian time).
Today's shallow, thrust-type earthquake occurred off the west coast of northern Sumatra at the interface between the India and Burma plates. In this region, the Burma plate is characterized by significant strain partitioning due to oblique convergence of the India and Australia plates to the west and the Sunda and Eurasian plates to the east. Off the west coast of northern Sumatra, the India plate is moving in a northeastward direction at about 5 cm per year relative to the Burma plate. Preliminary locations of larger aftershocks following today's earthquake show that approximately 1000 km of the plate boundary slipped as a result of the earthquake. Aftershocks are distributed along much of the shallow plate boundary between northern Sumatra (approximately 3 degrees north) to near Andaman Island (at about 14 degrees north).

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2004/usslav/

Last edited by a moderator: