Can you give any ideas about brake torque produced by car

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ABS simulation and the amount of brake torque that can be produced by brake pressure. The result shown is that the car will stop from 180km/hr in about 5 seconds. The speaker also mentions the limitation of braking distance and time due to the coefficient of static friction between tires and the road. They suggest using a specific test vehicle and its product information to back-calculate the coefficient of friction and use it as a limit for the simulation. Finally, they highlight that 10x braking force does not necessarily result in 10x faster braking and share an example of their own car's performance.
Veeveewt
I m doing ABS simulation, now I just wonder that how much break torque that brake pressure can produce,,, in my simulation I used about 1000 NM, I don't know is it too much?
However, the result shown that car will stop from 180km/hr in abt 5 s,,,Is it make sense?

Between, in the my code, I didnt input the limited of working of brake hydraulic.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Braking distance (&time) is typically limited by your coefficient of STATIC friction between the tires & the road. The brakes are capable of generating more frictional force than the tires, resulting in the wheels locking up. Locked tires then SLIDE down the road, resulting in less friction.

ABS reduces the breaking pressure to slightly below that required to lock the wheels (pressure fluctuates, not constant), ensuring the wheels keep turning & you can steer the car.

If checking your simulation for 'reasonable' results, choose a test vehicle, get the basic product information (mass, braking distance), back-calculate the coefficient of friction for the tires, and use that as your limit.

10x braking force does not equal 10x faster braking :(

Such a vague question really, but I figure that my 2750lb car can deploy a maximum of 2200lbs of brake force to the road on high performance road tyres, with around 75lbs of pedal force. This is good to go from 180kmh to 0 in 6.3 seconds.

1. What is brake torque and how is it produced by a car?

Brake torque is the force that is applied to the wheels of a car when the brakes are engaged. It is produced by the friction between the brake pads and the brake rotor, which slows down the rotation of the wheels.

2. How does the weight of the car affect brake torque?

The weight of the car can have a significant impact on the brake torque produced. A heavier car will require more force to slow down, resulting in a higher brake torque. This is why larger and heavier vehicles typically have larger brakes.

3. What factors can affect the amount of brake torque produced by a car?

Aside from the weight of the car, other factors that can affect brake torque include the condition of the brake pads and rotors, the type of brake system (e.g. disc brakes vs. drum brakes), and the speed at which the car is traveling.

4. How can I increase the brake torque of my car?

If you are looking to increase the brake torque of your car, you can upgrade to larger brake pads and rotors, switch to a high-performance brake system, and regularly maintain your brakes to ensure they are in good condition.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of brake torque a car can produce?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of brake torque that a car can produce. This limit is determined by the strength of the brake system components, as well as the grip of the tires on the road. Going beyond this limit can result in brake failure or wheel lock-up, which can be dangerous.