I have become obsessed with taking IQ tests on the internet. Are any accurate?

• Thread starter some_letters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet Iq
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of taking online IQ tests and whether or not they hold any significance. The person asking the questions mentioned that the tests were just for fun, but also admitted to having an obsession and inferiority complex related to their IQ. They were advised to focus on their own abilities and accomplishments rather than their IQ score. The conversation also touched on the idea of seeing a psychiatrist and struggling with an inferiority complex.
some_letters
For one reason or another I have began spending more time than I should be looking for and taking IQ tests. I do them because they're fun. Honestly though, the main reason I do for this obsession is an inferiority complex that I've been harboring for a while now. That being said, I've taken maybe 10 in the past week and averaged around a 130. Should I be putting any stock in these tests?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the online tests are just for fun. Real IQ tests have to be given by a licensed psychologist and are not really like the online tests. I have been administered the real thing.

Evo said:
No, the online tests are just for fun. Real IQ tests have to be given by a licensed psychologist and are not really like the online tests. I have been administered the real thing.

Agreed, I'm sure there are tons of factors that an impersonal online test cannot account for but one's that I've taken claim to have a correlation factor (not sure if that's the right word but I think you know what I'm talking about) of .87 and above. The one I just took said it has a factor of .98 with the ST-binet and whatever the other test is.

some letters, you have described your actions as taking too much of your time, an obsession, while claiming they are fun. Also, that you suffer from an inferiority complex.

May I suggest you focus more on your own abilities? Proof of competence is not gained by waiving your IQ test score around. We notice the skills and competence of others by their performance. We see that a good hunter brings in the game to feed the tribe, that the skilled farmer plants, cares for, and harvests a good crop. We recognize the competent engineer who solves difficult problems by combining his formal training with his natural intelligence. The audience at a music concert responds well to the skilled soloist. So what is your skill? What are you doing that you can excel in?

some_letters said:
Agreed, I'm sure there are tons of factors that an impersonal online test cannot account for but one's that I've taken claim to have a correlation factor (not sure if that's the right word but I think you know what I'm talking about) of .87 and above. The one I just took said it has a factor of .98 with the ST-binet and whatever the other test is.
Says who? There is no valid grading system for online websites.

Bobbywhy said:
some letters, you have described your actions as taking too much of your time, an obsession, while claiming they are fun. Also, that you suffer from an inferiority complex.

May I suggest you focus more on your own abilities? Proof of competence is not gained by waiving your IQ test score around. We notice the skills and competence of others by their performance. We see that a good hunter brings in the game to feed the tribe, that the skilled farmer plants, cares for, and harvests a good crop. We recognize the competent engineer who solves difficult problems by combining his formal training with his natural intelligence. The audience at a music concert responds well to the skilled soloist. So what is your skill? What are you doing that you can excel in?
It's really what you accomplish that matters.

By their fruits shall you know them.

You are obsessed with IQ tests and you have an inferiority complex. I think it might be wise to see a psychiatrist about these issues. These things will not go away by taking IQ tests, whatever the outcome of the tests are.

micromass said:
You are obsessed with IQ tests and you have an inferiority complex. I think it might be wise to see a psychiatrist about these issues. These things will not go away by taking IQ tests, whatever the outcome of the tests are.

With any luck, I'll be meeting with one by the end of the week. lol do you think I should resist the urge to ask for an IQ test?

Another thing, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but being that this is anonymous...has anyone else ever struggled with an inferiority complex?

some_letters said:
Another thing, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but being that this is anonymous...has anyone else ever struggled with an inferiority complex?

I suppose I did, however I was never diagnosed with it. I struggle with it to this day. You are certainly not alone in this!

1. Are IQ tests on the internet accurate?

It is difficult to determine the accuracy of IQ tests on the internet as it varies from test to test. Some tests may be designed and validated by professionals, while others may be created by individuals with no expertise in testing. It is important to research the source and validity of the test before taking it.

2. Can online IQ tests accurately measure intelligence?

Online IQ tests can give an estimate of one's intelligence, but they should not be considered as a definitive measure. These tests often have limited questions and do not take into account other factors that can affect intelligence, such as education and life experiences.

3. Are online IQ tests the same as traditional IQ tests?

No, online IQ tests are not the same as traditional IQ tests used by professionals. Traditional IQ tests are longer, more comprehensive, and administered in a controlled environment. Online tests may not measure the same range of skills and may not have the same level of reliability and validity as traditional tests.

4. Can taking multiple IQ tests improve my score?

Taking multiple IQ tests on the internet is unlikely to improve your score. IQ tests measure innate intelligence, which is not something that can be improved upon. Additionally, taking the same test multiple times may lead to artificially inflated scores due to familiarity with the questions.

5. Are online IQ tests a reliable way to determine my intelligence?

Online IQ tests should not be used as the sole method for determining intelligence. They can provide a general estimate, but other factors should also be considered, such as academic achievements, problem-solving skills, and social and emotional intelligence.