Law of Supply vs Law of Remuneration

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Supply
In summary, the conversation discusses two laws of economics - the Law of Supply and the Law of Remuneration. The Law of Supply states that as prices increase, supply will also increase. This means that if an individual's hourly wage is suddenly increased, they will be willing to work more hours as each hour offers them more income. On the other hand, the Law of Remuneration suggests that if an individual's hourly wage is increased, they may choose to work fewer hours and spend more time on leisure activities, while still making the same total salary. Both laws are logical, but they contradict each other and cannot be both right at the same time. The conversation also discusses the point at which these laws neutralize each other, which is
Bipolarity
If prices increase, supply will increase. This is the Law of Supply. So if your hourly wage were suddenly increased, then according to this law, you'd be willing to work more hours because each of those hours suddenly offers you more income. Because the higher wage has made working more valuable, you decide to work more hours.

But consider this: if your hourly wage were increased, you are now able to make the same amount of money working fewer hours. You exploit this to your advantage, and decide to work fewer hours, spending the rest on leisure, since you still make the same total salary as before. This is the Law of Remuneration.

The two laws are both logical yet they contradict one another, thus they cannot be both right at the same time. Which law is correct and why?

I've been studying this for a while and it turns out that both laws are right, but at different times.
Labour_supply_small.png

But why? What is the point at which the laws neutralize each other?

BiP

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
If prices increase, supply will increase. This is the Law of Supply. So if your hourly wage were suddenly increased, then according to this law, you'd be willing to work more hours because each of those hours suddenly offers you more income. Because the higher wage has made working more valuable, you decide to work more hours.

But consider this: if your hourly wage were increased, you are now able to make the same amount of money working fewer hours. You exploit this to your advantage, and decide to work fewer hours, spending the rest on leisure, since you still make the same total salary as before. This is the Law of Remuneration.

The two laws are both logical yet they contradict one another, thus they cannot be both right at the same time. Which law is correct and why?

I've been studying this for a while and it turns out that both laws are right, but at different times.
Labour_supply_small.png

BiP
There is no such thing as a "law of supply". It's "supply and demand". Reference to a "law of supply" is BS.

Even this website contradicts itself although it states
(Economists do not really have a “law” of supply, though they talk and write as though they do.)

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Supply.html

Sigh, so much garbage on the internet.

Last edited:
Evo said:
There is no such thing as a "law of supply". It's "supply and demand". Reference to a "law of supply" is BS.

Even this website contradicts itself although it states

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Supply.html

Sigh, so much garbage on the internet.

OK then mathematically why is it that
[itex] \frac{dS}{dY} [/itex] change sign at some value of Y where Y is the wage rate and S is the number of hours worked?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
OK then mathematically why is it that
[itex] \frac{dS}{dY} [/itex] change sign at some value of Y where Y is the wage rate and S is the number of hours worked?

BiP
The number of hours worked is dictated by the employer, not the employee. There is no such thing as a "Law of remuneration". Please post a link to a reputable source.

Evo said:
The number of hours worked is dictated by the employer, not the employee. There is no such thing as a "Law of remuneration". Please post a link to a reputable source.

I do not have links sorry as I use a textbook. My text uses the term to describe the situation in labor economics where \frac{dS}{dY} is negative. It is "Introductory Economics" by the British author G.F. Stanlake. Chapter 3 of the fifth edition describes this law. In any case my question is not so much about the terminology but rather I am looking for an explanation of why the sign of \frac{dS}{dY} changes at a critical value of Y.

It has something to do with utility maximization but I do not understand why. For instance, if you increase the hourly wage, then the marginal utility of working can only increase, thus hours worked can only be expected to increase. I see no reason for the marginal utility of working to decrease as the wage rate goes up.

BiP

Bipolarity said:
I do not have links sorry as I use a textbook. My text uses the term to describe the situation in labor economics where \frac{dS}{dY} is negative. It is "Introductory Economics" by the British author G.F. Stanlake. Chapter 3 of the fifth edition describes this law. In any case my question is not so much about the terminology but rather I am looking for an explanation of why the sign of \frac{dS}{dY} changes at a critical value of Y.

It has something to do with utility maximization but I do not understand why. For instance, if you increase the hourly wage, then the marginal utility of working can only increase, thus hours worked can only be expected to increase. I see no reason for the marginal utility of working to decrease as the wage rate goes up.

BiP
This is absolute nonsense in the real world, it just doesn't work that way. You do realize that most professionals are salaried and don't get paid by the hour? If you are an hourly worker, then your employer decides how many hours you work.

I don't find anything anywhere that backs up what you say, so perhaps you have misunderstood what the author is saying.

Last edited:
Bipolarity said:

Labour_supply_small.png

BiP

If changes are gradual, would you ever get to the top part of the curve? At the far right point of the curve the marginal cost of labour is infinite. Production stops when marginal cost equals marginal revenue. The second point I think is what Evo is alluding to. A person’s hourly rate may depend on the amount of hours they work. A company may not be willing to pay a part time employee as much because the company may want to fully utilize office resources. For instance, say office space was short. The company would have to consider how practical it was for part time employees to share a desk. Your scenario is plausible I think if someone’s skills are very hard for the company to come by. In that case then maybe they would be more willing to hire them on a part time basis.

Bipolarity said:
I see no reason for the marginal utility of working to decrease as the wage rate goes up.

BiP

In most cases I think it is not the work that brings the utility but what a person gains from the work. For instance: wages, purpose, social relations, etc. When calculating marginal utility don’t use hours worked as your dependent variable.

Bipolarity said:

Labour_supply_small.png

BiP

They aren't laws but income and substitution effect. Check

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Law of Supply?

The Law of Supply states that there is a direct relationship between the price of a good or service and the quantity supplied. This means that as the price of a good or service increases, the quantity that producers are willing and able to supply also increases.

What is the Law of Remuneration?

The Law of Remuneration is an economic principle that states that the amount of money paid for a good or service is directly related to the amount of labor required to produce it. This means that the more labor that is required to produce a good or service, the higher the price will be.

What is the difference between the Law of Supply and the Law of Remuneration?

The main difference between the two laws is that the Law of Supply focuses on the relationship between price and quantity supplied, while the Law of Remuneration focuses on the relationship between price and labor. The Law of Supply is more relevant to producers and sellers, while the Law of Remuneration is more relevant to workers and laborers.

How do the Law of Supply and the Law of Remuneration affect the economy?

The Law of Supply and the Law of Remuneration both play important roles in shaping the economy. The Law of Supply helps determine the quantity of goods and services that are available in the market, while the Law of Remuneration affects the cost of production and ultimately the price of goods and services. These laws also influence the decisions of producers, workers, and consumers, which can have a significant impact on the overall economy.

Are the Law of Supply and the Law of Remuneration always applicable?

While the Law of Supply and the Law of Remuneration are generally accepted principles in economics, there may be instances where they do not apply. For example, in a monopoly market where there is only one seller, the Law of Supply may not accurately reflect the relationship between price and quantity supplied. Additionally, in some cases, the price of a good or service may not accurately reflect the amount of labor required to produce it, making the Law of Remuneration less applicable.