What is the solution to the ancient Anglo-Saxon riddle?

• Thread starter BadBrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary: Earth (as in lying on the ground)still alive in the form of driftwood = I have left the living.In summary, the conversation discusses a riddle that has not been solved, but the speaker believes they have solved it. They have sent their solution to a moderator, ensuring there is no cheating involved. The riddle is about a woman who is also a man at the same time, flying with birds and swimming in the water, ultimately becoming driftwood and leaving the living behind. The conversation also delves into the interpretation and context of the riddle, with a proposed solution being "driftwood on the beach."
BadBrain
It's, supposedly, never been solved, but I believe I've solved it.

My solution has been PM'd to a moderator, so there's no question of cheating on my part.

Here's the riddle in the original:

Ic waes faemne geong, feaxhar cwene
ond aenlic rinc on ane tid;
fleah mid fuglum ond on flode swom,
deaf under ythe dead mid fiscum,
ond on foldan stop; haefde ferth cwicu.

And here's my translation:

I was a young lass, a frizzy-haired woman
and a singular man at the same time;
I flew with the birds and swam upon the flood,
Dove under the waves dead with the fish
And stooped upon the Earth I have left the living.

I eagerly await your proposed solutions. Yours may well prove superior to mine. You never know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd imagine it is "not solved" in the sense that the author's intended answer is unknown rather than that there is an absence of solutions which satisfy the rules for these kinds of riddles.

They usually depend on context as in; "In it went, out it went, and saved the lives of seven sons." with known answer: "a woodpecker". How you get from one to the other is context.

Not sure how "singular" should be interpreted in that line - you probably want to elaborate on that. But I think it's the snow/ice ... which can be fresh and pure as a young girl on the hills but frizzy-"haired" on the boughs or form icicles as a singular man all within the same moment. It has been in the air with the birds from whence it falls as snow and floating on the river as an ice-floe ... falls in the ocean and it melts (dies). The bitter cold that comes with it leaves the living stooped upon the Earth (as they huddle for warmth.)

BadBrain said:
Here's the riddle in the original:

Ic waes faemne geong, feaxhar cwene
ond aenlic rinc on ane tid;
fleah mid fuglum ond on flode swom,
deaf under ythe dead mid fiscum,
ond on foldan stop; haefde ferth cwicu.

And here's my translation:

I was a young lass, a frizzy-haired woman
and a singular man at the same time;
I flew with the birds and swam upon the flood,
Dove under the waves dead with the fish
And stooped upon the Earth I have left the living.

Answer = Driftwood on the beach (IMHO)

Detailed answer:
A tree that is now driftwood.
single man = trunk
branches = frizzyhair woman
new growth leaves = young woman
branches waving in the wind = flight
falling into the water = swim
becoming driftwood = dead with the fish
washing up on the shore
once was alive

I appreciate your enthusiasm and interest in solving this ancient Anglo-Saxon riddle. However, I must caution against claiming to have solved it without proper evidence and verification. It is important to approach any problem, including riddles, with a critical and analytical mindset.

Without seeing your proposed solution, it is difficult for me to assess its validity. I would suggest sharing your translation with other experts in the field to gather different perspectives and potentially refine your solution.

I also want to remind you that riddles often have multiple interpretations and can be open to different solutions. It is possible that your translation is one valid interpretation, but there may be others as well.

In the spirit of scientific inquiry, I encourage you to continue exploring and discussing your solution with others. Who knows, your translation may indeed prove to be the most accurate one. But let's not jump to conclusions without proper evidence and consensus from the community. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an Anglo-Saxon riddle?

An Anglo-Saxon riddle is a type of puzzle or word game that was popular in the early medieval period in England. It typically consists of a short, enigmatic verse or description that requires the reader to use their imagination and knowledge to guess the answer.

2. How old are Anglo-Saxon riddles?

The earliest known Anglo-Saxon riddles date back to the 8th century, but it is believed that the tradition of riddling was passed down orally for centuries before being written down. Therefore, the exact age of Anglo-Saxon riddles is difficult to determine.

3. What is the purpose of Anglo-Saxon riddles?

The purpose of Anglo-Saxon riddles is not entirely clear, but they were likely used for entertainment and to showcase one's wit and intelligence. They may have also served as a form of social commentary or as a means of teaching and passing down knowledge.

4. What are some common themes in Anglo-Saxon riddles?

Many Anglo-Saxon riddles revolve around everyday objects or phenomena, such as animals, plants, food, and household items. Religious and mythological references are also common, as well as wordplay and puns.

5. How were Anglo-Saxon riddles solved?

Anglo-Saxon riddles were often solved by listening to the clues and using one's knowledge and imagination to come up with a possible answer. Sometimes, the answer would be revealed by the riddle's author, but other times it was left open-ended for the reader to interpret.

Back