Good Astro Links - Exploring the Cosmos by Barbara Becker

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, the conversation was about sharing useful links for general astronomy information. The original poster shared a link to a webpage about the history of astronomy and others added links to websites such as Ned Wright, Lineweaver, and Siobahn Morgan's astronomy course. One person also mentioned Barbara Becker's history page, which was praised for its quirkiness and accuracy. The original post was eventually deleted as it was deemed irrelevant to the thread.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Was cleaning out my PM inbox and outbox----sometimes miss messages because the boxes overflow----and saw that back in August I sent someone a link to a good "history of astronomy" webpage which I then forgot about. Where to put good astro links?

So here is a thread for useful general astronomy links:
Ned Wright should be here, and Lineweaver, and the Wendy Freedman/Michael Turner survey, and Siobahn Morgan's astronomy course homework exercises, and something like an online textbook at U. Rochester where Jay Pasachoff is but there is a different name on the lecturenotes. In short the great online wellsprings of general astro info.

My contribution is Barbara Becker's history page, simply because I have it in hand and nowhere else to put it. She teaches at UC Irvine in the history department and this is a series of lecturenotes that make a kind of book called "Exploring the Cosmos".

http://eee.uci.edu/clients/bjbecker/ExploringtheCosmos/

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Im going to erase this particular post because it is a trivial footnote irrelevant to the thread but Barbara Becker had the temerity to head her TOC with a rhymed verse of her own making that has the rhymescheme ABCXD, therefore she gets points for quirkiness in my book of quirkiness ratings. Also if you want to know about Slipher (Hubble wasnt the first) you can believe her---she is a historian who seems to get the science part as well

1. What is "Good Astro Links - Exploring the Cosmos by Barbara Becker"?

"Good Astro Links - Exploring the Cosmos by Barbara Becker" is a website that provides a collection of links to various resources and information about astronomy and space exploration. It is curated by astrophysicist Barbara Becker and is aimed at making it easier for individuals to access reliable and accurate information about the cosmos.

2. Who is Barbara Becker?

Barbara Becker is an astrophysicist and science communicator with a passion for sharing her knowledge and love for astronomy with others. She has a PhD in Astrophysics and has worked on various research projects related to the study of the universe. She also hosts a popular podcast called "Exploring the Cosmos" where she interviews scientists and discusses the latest developments in space exploration.

3. What kind of information can I find on "Good Astro Links - Exploring the Cosmos by Barbara Becker"?

The website provides links to a variety of resources including articles, videos, podcasts, and educational materials related to astronomy and space exploration. These links cover topics such as the history of space exploration, current missions and discoveries, and the latest advancements in the field of astrophysics.

4. Is "Good Astro Links - Exploring the Cosmos by Barbara Becker" a reliable source of information?

Yes, the website is curated by an astrophysicist and all the links provided are from reputable sources such as NASA, ESA, and scientific journals. Barbara Becker ensures that the information on the website is accurate and up-to-date, making it a reliable source for those interested in learning more about the cosmos.

5. Can I contribute to "Good Astro Links - Exploring the Cosmos by Barbara Becker"?

Yes, the website encourages contributions from individuals who are passionate about astronomy and space exploration. You can submit links to articles, videos, or other resources that you think would be valuable for others to explore. However, all submissions are reviewed by Barbara Becker before being added to the website to ensure the quality and accuracy of the information.