Change in flux of a transformer

In summary, the change in flux of a transformer refers to the change in the magnetic field within the transformer's core, which is caused by a varying input voltage in the primary winding. This can affect the performance and efficiency of the transformer, but it can be controlled through methods such as varying the input voltage or using additional components.
AbsoluteZer0
Hello,

As I understand, a simple transformer works by using the Input AC in the primary coil to generate magnetic field in the iron core, which then generates an AC in the secondary coil. My question is: how does this process change the voltage? I've searched for answers on other websites but I haven't found a clear explanation.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is meant by change in flux of a transformer?

The change in flux of a transformer refers to the change in the magnetic field within the transformer's core, which induces a voltage in the secondary winding and thus allows for the transfer of electrical energy from the primary winding to the secondary winding.

2. What causes a change in flux in a transformer?

A change in flux in a transformer is caused by a varying input voltage in the primary winding, which produces a varying magnetic field in the core. This varying magnetic field then induces a varying voltage in the secondary winding, resulting in a change in flux.

3. How does a change in flux affect the performance of a transformer?

A change in flux can affect the performance of a transformer in several ways. It can cause fluctuations in the output voltage, which can lead to issues with the overall electrical system. It can also result in increased losses and heating within the transformer, potentially causing damage to the equipment.

4. Can the change in flux be controlled in a transformer?

Yes, the change in flux in a transformer can be controlled by varying the input voltage or by using additional components such as voltage regulators or tap changers. These methods can help maintain a consistent flux and ensure stable performance of the transformer.

5. How does the change in flux affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The change in flux can affect the efficiency of a transformer by increasing losses, which can result in a decrease in overall efficiency. This is because a change in flux can cause eddy currents and hysteresis losses in the transformer's core, reducing the amount of electrical energy that can be transferred from the primary to the secondary winding.