Preparing for Technical Questions in PhD Interviews: To Review or Not to Review?

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    interviews
In summary, the person has been invited for a second interview in the Netherlands for a PhD position. This interview will consist of two parts: presenting their masters thesis research and an interview with a group of about 3 people. They are wondering if they should anticipate technical questions during the interview, as they had difficulty answering them in a previous interview in Switzerland. They also mention that the Dutch system is different, as they will be required to take courses in their first year. They are unsure if they should review all their coursework or just focus on relevant elements for the PhD project. They are seeking feedback on this matter and express their desire to not make the same mistake as their previous interview.
Void123
I have been invited for a second interview in the Netherlands for a PhD position composed of the following: (1)to present my masters thesis research and (2) an interview with a group of about 3 people.

I'm sure someone has written about this before, but I wanted to know to what extent I should anticipate technical questions in the interview (not the presentation on masters research). The reason I ask is because I recently was invited for a similar interview in Switzerland (following the same structure) where I choked on some technical questions regarding coursework I took a while ago (it was a simple question that I just couldn't remember since I hadn't touched the material in two years).

I also know the system is slightly different in the Netherlands. For one thing, I will be required to take a couple courses the first year anyway (which was not the case with the Swiss program which was 3 years of pure research as opposed to 4 years in the Netherlands). The Dutch system seems a bit more relaxed than the Swiss from my own personal observation.

I am just wondering if I should do a crash course review of all the classes I took or just focus on the elements of my coursework relevant to the PhD project.

I know at the end of the day it is all highly subjective, but I would appreciate an feedback anyone has in consideration of my situation. I really don't want to slip on this one. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see, at your last interview you were asked general technical questions (that you couldn't answer) and now you want to know whether we think you should prepare to answer general technical questions at your next interview? I know what I would do.

1. What should I wear to an interview?

It is important to dress professionally for an interview. This means wearing well-fitted, clean and pressed clothing. For men, a suit or dress pants and a button-down shirt with a tie is appropriate. For women, a suit, dress, or skirt with a blouse are all acceptable options. It is always better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed for an interview.

2. How should I prepare for an interview?

Preparing for an interview involves researching the company and the position, practicing commonly asked interview questions, and preparing your own questions to ask the interviewer. It is also important to review your resume and be able to speak about your previous experiences and qualifications in relation to the position.

3. What are some common interview questions?

Some common interview questions include: "Tell me about yourself", "Why are you interested in this position?", "Can you walk me through your resume?", "What are your strengths and weaknesses?", and "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?". It is important to practice and have well thought out answers to these and other commonly asked questions.

4. How should I handle difficult or unexpected questions during an interview?

If you are asked a difficult or unexpected question during an interview, it is important to stay calm and take a moment to gather your thoughts before answering. You can also ask for clarification or rephrase the question to make sure you understand it correctly. If you are truly stumped, it is okay to take a moment to think before answering. It is better to take a pause and give a thoughtful answer than to rush and give an unprepared response.

5. What should I do after an interview?

After an interview, it is important to send a thank-you note or email to the interviewer to express your gratitude for their time and consideration. This is also a good opportunity to reiterate your interest in the position and highlight any key points or qualifications you may have forgotten to mention during the interview. It is also important to follow up with the employer if you do not hear back within the expected time frame, as this shows your continued interest in the position.