Find how long a marble rolls down a ramp, given distance and angle

In summary, to find the time it takes a marble to roll down a ramp with a length of 5.0 m and an angle of 6.9°, we can use the equation d=1/2at2. However, we must first find the acceleration down the ramp, which can be calculated using the equation v=at. The correct answer for the time is 2.9 seconds.
camelCaseD

Homework Statement

How many seconds does it take a marble to run down a ramp with a length of 5.0 m and an angle of 6.9°?
Correct answer = 2.9 s.

Homework Equations

v = at
d = 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

√2(5)/9.8≠2.9 s

Physics news on Phys.org
hi camelCaseD! welcome to pf! :smile:

where did you use the 6.9° ? :confused:

(or the fact that it rolls)

I'm not sure if the angle is relevant information for solving the problem or not. But the length of the ramp and the angle its at are the only given data I have. The marble does roll down the ramp.

camelCaseD said:
I'm not sure if the angle is relevant information for solving the problem or not.

?? :confused: but if this 5m ramp was at 0.01°, wouldn't it take a lot longer than if it was at 90° ?

tiny-tim said:
?? :confused: but if this 5m ramp was at 0.01°, wouldn't it take a lot longer than if it was at 90° ?
Yes it would be slower if the angle were 0.01° than 90°.

yes! :smile:

sooo … ? :wink:

So then since the angle of the ramp is at 6.9° the time it would take the marble to roll down the ramp would take longer than if it were straight up and down.

yes, but what equation are you going to use?

(and now I'm off to bed :zzz:)

Likes 1 person
I'm going to use the equation d=1/2at2

(just got up :zzz:)
camelCaseD said:
I'm going to use the equation d=1/2at2

yeeees …

but first you need to find a (the component of acceleration down the ramp)!​

what equation will you use for that? :smile:

1. How do you measure the distance and angle of the ramp for this experiment?

To measure the distance, use a ruler or measuring tape to determine the length of the ramp from the starting point to the end point. For the angle, use a protractor to measure the angle of the ramp from the ground.

2. What are the units of measurement for distance and angle in this experiment?

The distance can be measured in meters or centimeters, while the angle can be measured in degrees.

3. Is there a specific type of marble that should be used for this experiment?

It is recommended to use a standard marble with a consistent size and weight to ensure accurate results.

4. How many trials should be conducted for this experiment?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is recommended to conduct multiple trials and take an average of the results. The number of trials can vary, but 3-5 trials is typically sufficient.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to make sure the ramp and surrounding area is clear of any obstacles or hazards. Also, be cautious when rolling the marble down the ramp to avoid any injuries.