Is there a connection between the Higgs field and energy in Majorana framework?

In summary: Hadrons get 99% of their rest mass from the strong interaction, only 1% from Higgs.This is correct.What particles don't get their rest mass by Higgs field vev?This is a difficult question. It may depend on the particular theory being studied.
brianhurren
if the Higgs bosson field is responsible for giving particles mass. and mass and energy are interchangable e=mc^2. Then is there a field, like the higgs that is responsible for energy. maybe an exited state of the higgs?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Higgs boson gives SOME particles their REST mass. E = m c2 has nothing to do with it.

Which particles don't get their rest mass by Higgs field vev?

ChrisVer said:

Hadrons get 99% of their rest mass from the strong interaction, only 1% from Higgs.

ahh you mean bound states, OK... sorry I had in my mind that particles=elementary particles... (i.e quarks and leptons and the force mediators)

scalar particles including the higgs field itself may have intrinsic masses that are not created by a higgs vev.

Well, that is nice thing to say... :)
Higgs is the only scalar field (speaking about higgs yet it didn't come to my mind as a particle)
except for maybe particles coming from anomalously broken symmetries (eg axion? I am not sure because I haven't grasped the essence of anomalies)

so when a billiad ball smacks into another billiard ball and energy is transfured. what is actualy being transfured, some kind of carrier particle, a wave in a field or what?

How is this question going to help you??
Fundamentally-
In general what is transferred would be some surfacial atoms on the balls because of the inertia...
Also some virtual photons between the particles of the one ball and the other to get the momentum transfer, because every such process is electromagnetic...
Of course, classical mechanics is good enough for this...

Likes 1 person
dauto said:
scalar particles including the higgs field itself may have intrinsic masses that are not created by a higgs vev.

Doesn't the Higgs boson itself derive mass from spontaneous symmetry breaking, and therefore would be with its interaction with the gauge fields? So one might say the gauge vector bosons acquire mass at the same time as the Higgs due to their interaction with one another.

No it doesn't... the Higgs has its mass added by hand as a free parameter of the Standard Model, when you write down the potential...

ChrisVer said:
Well, that is nice thing to say... :)
Higgs is the only scalar field (speaking about higgs yet it didn't come to my mind as a particle)
except for maybe particles coming from anomalously broken symmetries (eg axion? I am not sure because I haven't grasped the essence of anomalies)

Correction: The Higgs is the only scalar field experimentally confirmed so far.

Matterwave said:
Doesn't the Higgs boson itself derive mass from spontaneous symmetry breaking, and therefore would be with its interaction with the gauge fields? So one might say the gauge vector bosons acquire mass at the same time as the Higgs due to their interaction with one another.

No, the Higgs field has a running mass which is positive at very high energies but becomes negative at lower energy. It is this flipping of the sign of the mass term in the Lagrangian that signals the electroweak symmetry breaking generating masses for the vector bosons and spinnor fields.

ChrisVer said:
If neutrinos have a Majorana mass, this would come from elsewhere besides Higgs.

I think in Majorana framework when you insert right handed neutrinos, there is indeed a coupling to the higgs field... (higgs*lepton)neutrino_R

1. What is the Higgs boson mass and energy?

The Higgs boson mass and energy refer to the fundamental particle predicted by the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving all other particles in the universe their mass. The Higgs boson has a mass of approximately 125 GeV (gigaelectronvolts) and an energy of 125 GeV.

2. How was the Higgs boson mass and energy discovered?

The Higgs boson was discovered in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research. Scientists used the LHC to accelerate and collide protons at high energies, creating conditions similar to those present in the early universe. From these collisions, they were able to observe the production and decay of the Higgs boson, confirming its existence and determining its mass and energy.

3. Why is the Higgs boson mass and energy important?

The discovery of the Higgs boson and its mass and energy was a crucial step in understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they acquire mass. It also helps to explain the symmetry breaking that occurred in the early universe and is a key piece in the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Can the Higgs boson mass and energy be changed?

No, the Higgs boson mass and energy are fundamental properties of the particle. They are determined by the strength of the Higgs field and cannot be altered. However, scientists continue to study the Higgs boson and its interactions in order to gain a deeper understanding of its properties and potential implications for the universe.

5. What is the relationship between the Higgs boson mass and energy?

The Higgs boson mass and energy are directly related through Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². This means that the energy of the Higgs boson is equal to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared. In particle physics, mass and energy are often used interchangeably, so the Higgs boson's mass can also be referred to as its energy.