What is this formula for?/What is it called?

• Thread starter Latsabb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the formula S*r=1/2*m*r^2*a/r is for calculating torque and involves tension on a wire coiled around a cylinder. It is used to find the moment of inertia multiplied by angular acceleration. The variables in the formula represent force, radius, moment of inertia, linear acceleration, and angular acceleration.
Latsabb
I have a formula, S*r=1/2*m*r^2*a/r

The problem is that it is unlabeled, and I am not 100% sure what this is supposed to be for. As near as I can tell, it is for something with inertia, and involving tension on a wire coiled around a cylinder. Is this correct? Does anyone know if this is simply a derived equation for a specific problem, or a general use equation? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
r cancels out.

I know, but this is a formula that was supplied for a problem, and I am attempting to figure out what everything is. I think I have it narrowed down that S*r is supposed to be torque, and everything else on the right is supposed to represent inertia times the angular momentum, but I am not sure.

You are on the right track, I see it as torque = (moment of inertia) x angular acceleration.
S is force, r is radius, 1/2 m rsq is moment of inertia, and a is linear acceleration, a/r is angular acceleration.

Thank you for sharing your formula. Based on the variables and their units, it appears that this formula is related to rotational motion. The "S" likely represents the arc length, "r" represents the radius, "m" represents the mass, and "a" represents acceleration. The "1/2" in the equation suggests that it may be related to the moment of inertia of a rotating object. However, without more context or information, it is difficult to determine the exact purpose or name of this formula. It is possible that it is a derived equation for a specific problem or a general use equation, but further investigation and analysis would be needed to determine this.

1. What is the purpose of this formula?

The purpose of a formula is to represent a mathematical relationship between different variables or quantities. It allows us to solve problems and make predictions based on the values of the variables involved.

2. How do you determine the name of a formula?

The name of a formula is typically based on the variables or quantities involved, such as the Pythagorean Theorem or Ohm's Law. Sometimes, it may also be named after the scientist or mathematician who discovered or popularized it.

3. What is the difference between a formula and an equation?

A formula and an equation both represent a mathematical relationship, but they serve different purposes. A formula is used to solve problems or make predictions, while an equation is used to show that two quantities are equal to each other.

4. How do you use a formula to solve a problem?

To use a formula to solve a problem, you must first identify the relevant variables and their values. Then, you can plug these values into the formula and perform the necessary calculations to obtain the desired result.

5. Can formulas be modified or changed?

Yes, formulas can be modified or changed to fit different situations or to improve their accuracy. This is often done through experimentation and testing to find the most effective formula for a particular problem.