Question regarding cathodes and anodes

• Thread starter collegelife101
  • Start date
In summary, cathodes and anodes have different roles in chemistry and electronic devices. In a chemical reaction, the anode is where oxidation occurs and the cathode is where reduction occurs. However, in electronic devices such as cathode-ray tubes, the roles are reversed and the cathode is where the electrons originate and flow out, while the anode is where they flow into. This can be confusing, but it is important to understand the context in which the terms are being used.
collegelife101
Hello everyone!

I just had a quick question regarding cathodes and anodes. In chemistry, I know that an anode is a site of oxidation and the cathode is the site of reduction. However, I noticed that with a cathode-ray tube, for instance, a cathode emits electrons to an anode?

Are these two the same things or not? Can someone please differentiate?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
collegelife101 said:
Hello everyone!

I just had a quick question regarding cathodes and anodes. In chemistry, I know that an anode is a site of oxidation and the cathode is the site of reduction. However, I noticed that with a cathode-ray tube, for instance, a cathode emits electrons to an anode?

Are these two the same things or not? Can someone please differentiate?

Thanks!
The important thing to remember is that cathode is negative and anode is positive.
That's the common thing in both Cathode-ray-tubes and electrolysis things IMO.

Cathode is always the one through which electrons flow into. Everything else should follow.

Borek said:
Cathode is always the one through which electrons flow into. Everything else should follow.

so why in a vacuum tube is the cathode emitting electrons and the positively charged anode "collecting" them "

I have always found it annoying/confusing when they say what you did for chemistry
but the opposite for tubes and semiconductor diodes

what is the reason for the difference ?

Dave

Borek said:

I don't think this is correct. As davenn has pointed out, in electron tubes/guns, the cathode is where the electrons originate and "flow out", not into. The anode is where they flow into.

The typical answer is that the cathode is the terminal with the lowest potential or the electron source while the anode is the highest potential or the electron sink.

Zz.

To be more pedantic:

Cathode is always the one that electrons flow into from outside the device.

Clearly the negative electric charge flowing into the cathode has to get to the anode somehow inside the device, either by negative charges moving one way, and/or by positive charges moving the other way.

Cathode is always the one that electrons flow into from outside the device.

yup, that's a clearer definition :) did see something along those lines in wiki

cheers
Dave

There can be a lot of confusion around this. I used to think I understood it, but no longer. The terms are best avoided in general conversation if you eschew ambiguity, IMO.

Do the terminals of a rechargeable cell take turns in being the anode? Do you connect the red charger lead to the cell's anode or its cathode?

Does the anode of a zener diode change depending on the direction of current flow??

Questions, questions ...

The problem is that the electrons flow in a circular path round a circuit and Kirchoff1 applies. So electrons actually enter and leave both the Cathode and the Anode. the effect of this is to confuse people as the rule is context sensitive. In a battery, electrons enter the cathode plate from the electrolyte but in a TV tube, they leave the Cathode into the vacuum. This is a great example of where trying blindly to learn a rule, without understanding, is deadly.

1. What is the difference between a cathode and an anode?

A cathode is an electrode where electrons are received, while an anode is an electrode where electrons are released. In terms of charge, a cathode has a negative charge while an anode has a positive charge.

2. How do cathodes and anodes work in a battery?

In a battery, the anode releases electrons through a chemical reaction, while the cathode accepts those electrons and uses them to power a device. This creates a flow of electricity from the anode to the cathode, completing the circuit.

3. Can cathodes and anodes be made of different materials?

Yes, cathodes and anodes can be made of different materials depending on the type of battery or device they are used in. Some common materials used for cathodes and anodes include metals, carbon, and lithium.

4. What is the purpose of a cathode ray tube?

A cathode ray tube uses a cathode to emit a stream of electrons and an anode to control the direction and speed of those electrons. This technology is commonly used in old television and computer monitors.

5. How do you determine which electrode is the cathode and which is the anode?

The cathode is always the electrode with a negative charge, while the anode has a positive charge. In a circuit, the direction of electron flow is from the anode to the cathode.