Preparing for the GRE Physics Exam: Resources & Tips

In summary, the speaker is planning to apply to schools in the US and needs to take the GRE exam. They are looking for resources to prepare for the physics exam and are considering using old exams, community solutions, and a book called Conquering the Physics GRE. They also ask for suggestions on whether or not they should go through all the problems in Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick and Halliday.
electricspit
Hey!

I'm planning on applying at some schools in the US next year/this year and I need ot take the GRE exam this fall. I've looked at some old exams and they look pretty straightforward, but I was wondering if anyone knew any resources for the physics exam (i.e. practice tests etc.).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ETS has released five old exams, those and community provided solutions can be found on the internet. Also, a new book for the physics GRE was published a couple years ago, called Conquering the Physics GRE. The authors review some material and provide a few practice tests. But keep in mind those aren't made by the test makers, so they aren't going to be as much like the real thing. Still, I found the book to be worthwhile, especially given how cheap it is, but it shouldn't be your only resource.

Does it necessary to go through all the problems in Fundamentals of Physics by Resnick and Halliday? I really need some suggestions in this case.

What is the GRE Physics Exam?

The GRE Physics Exam is a standardized test used by graduate schools to assess a student's understanding of fundamental physics concepts. It covers a wide range of topics including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics.

When should I start preparing for the GRE Physics Exam?

It is recommended to start preparing for the GRE Physics Exam at least 3-4 months before the exam date. This will give you enough time to review and practice all the necessary material and avoid last-minute cramming.

What are the best resources to use for preparing for the GRE Physics Exam?

There are various resources available for preparing for the GRE Physics Exam, including study guides, practice tests, and review books. Some popular resources include the "GRE Physics Subject Test" book by ETS, the "Cracking the GRE Physics Exam" book by Princeton Review, and the "GRE Physics Exam Practice Questions" app by Magoosh.

What are some tips for studying for the GRE Physics Exam?

Some tips for studying for the GRE Physics Exam include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, practicing with past exams and sample questions, and focusing on your weak areas. It is also important to take breaks and ensure you are well-rested and mentally prepared for the exam.

How can I improve my score on the GRE Physics Exam?

To improve your score on the GRE Physics Exam, it is important to thoroughly review all the material and practice with as many sample questions and exams as possible. It is also helpful to identify your weak areas and focus on them, and to seek help from a tutor or study group if needed.