Solving Cx^3-2Ex+2k=0 Equation

• Thread starter danai_pa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving a third degree equation. The method involves substituting x with u+v and solving for two equations, then using Cardano's formula to find the solutions. There may be some complexities and the recommendation is to search the internet for more precise information on the topic.
danai_pa
I can't find the solution of this equation

Cx^3-2Ex+2k = 0

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's call x=u+v, then you obtain (u+v)^3+A(u+v)+B=0 (A=-2E/C; B=2k/C)

then, solving some products etc.. you have: (u^3+v^3+B)+(u+v)(3uv+A)=0

put it into a system

1) u^3+v^3=-B
2) 3uv=-A (u+v cannot be=0)

We turn the second equation into u^3*v^3=-A^3/27

so we can solve a II° eq. since we have two number whose sum and product are known, then you take the III root and sum them, then you use Ruffini to lower the degree of the original equation, once you found one solution. Then you can easily solve the remaining II deg. eq.

Ok I made the thing a bit simple, there are some problems with logics, complex solutions etc.
If you want something more precise I suggest to search the net.

That is, in fact, the general reduced third degree equation. There is a standard formula, called "Cardano's formula". Maxos was leading you through it. I recommend you google on "Cardano's formua" or "Cubic formula" to see the whole thing.

http://www.ping.be/~ping1339/cubic.htm
Here it is

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the general formula for solving a cubic equation?

The general formula for solving a cubic equation, also known as a third-degree equation, is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the equation in the form of ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0.

2. How can I determine the number of solutions for a cubic equation?

A cubic equation can have up to three solutions. To determine the number of solutions, you can use the discriminant Δ = b^2 - 4ac. If Δ > 0, there are three real solutions. If Δ = 0, there is one real solution. If Δ < 0, there are three complex solutions.

3. What are the different methods for solving a cubic equation?

There are several methods for solving a cubic equation, including the algebraic method, the graphical method, and the numerical method. The algebraic method involves factoring, completing the square, or using the cubic formula. The graphical method involves plotting the equation on a graph and finding the points of intersection. The numerical method involves using a computer or calculator to find the solutions.

4. Can all cubic equations be solved algebraically?

No, not all cubic equations can be solved algebraically. Some cubic equations, known as irreducible cubics, cannot be factored or solved using any algebraic method. In these cases, other methods such as the graphical or numerical methods must be used to find the solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution to a cubic equation is correct?

To check if your solution to a cubic equation is correct, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation and results in a true statement, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the equation and see if the solution falls on the curve.