Can I Factor Equations for Diff. Eq. Solving?

• Thread starter Beez
  • Start date
In summary, the user is asking for help with factoring numerators in two equations in order to simplify them. They provide the equations and mention using (x^4 + 1) and (x^4 - 1) as possible factors. They also mention using \LaTeX and express gratitude for the suggestion. The conversation ends with a joke about using only one exponent.
Beez
On my process of obtaining the IF for solving a differential equation, I got stuck with an equation as following. This could be a very simple algebra problem, but I just can't do it. Would someone tell me if I can factor the numerators by (x^4 + 1) for the first equation and by (x^4 -1) for the second equation so that I can have only x or y as a variable?

[(x^4 - 1) - (5*x^4 + 1)]/x*(x^4+1) = (-4*x^4 - 2)/x(x^4 + 1)
= -2(2*x^4 +1)/x(x^4 + 1)

[(5*x^4 + 1) - (x^4 - 1)]/y*(x^4-1) = (4x^4 + 2)/y(x^4 - 1)
=2(2*x^4 + 1)/y(x^4 - 1)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
could you use [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] please. it is kinda hard to read without it.

OK, I got it. Please take look at the following.

[([tex]x^4[/tex] - 1) - (5[tex]x^4 [/tex]+ 1)]/x([tex]x^4[/tex]+1) = (-4[tex]x^4[/tex] - 2)/x([tex]x^4[/tex] + 1)
= -2(2[tex]x^4[/tex] +1)/x([tex]x^4[/tex]+ 1)

[(5[tex]x^4[/tex] + 1) - ([tex]x^4[/tex] - 1)]/y([tex]x^4[/tex]-1) = (4[tex]x^4[/tex] + 2)/y([tex]x^4 [/tex]- 1)
=2(2[tex]x^4 [/tex]+ 1)/y([tex]x^4[/tex] - 1)

Thanks for your suggestion. I always wanted to know how to type [tex]x^2[/tex] for x^2.

Last edited:
ur kidding, right? one exponent isn't enough(especially without the x :smile:)

1. What does it mean to factor equations for differential equation solving?

Factoring equations for differential equation solving involves breaking an equation down into simpler terms in order to find a solution. This is often done in order to make the equation more manageable and easier to solve.

2. Why is factoring important in differential equation solving?

Factoring is important in differential equation solving because it allows us to find a solution that may not be apparent at first glance. It also helps us to simplify complex equations and make them more solvable.

3. How do you factor equations for differential equation solving?

The process of factoring equations for differential equation solving involves identifying common factors and using algebraic techniques such as grouping, substitution, and the quadratic formula. It may also involve simplifying fractions and using trigonometric identities.

4. Can all equations be factored for differential equation solving?

No, not all equations can be factored for differential equation solving. Some equations may not have a common factor or may require more advanced techniques to solve. In these cases, other methods such as numerical methods or approximations may be used to find a solution.

5. What are some tips for factoring equations for differential equation solving?

Some tips for factoring equations for differential equation solving include: looking for common factors, using algebraic techniques, simplifying fractions, and practicing with different types of equations. It is also important to check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure accuracy.