Current density and theorem of curl of curl

In summary, Jackson used the theorem of curl of curl to separate current density into transverse and parallel.
mingshey
Jackson("Classical Electrodynamics", Ch.6)
uses the theorem of curl of curl to separate current density into transverse and parallel,
[tex]\vec J = \vec{J_p}+\vec{J_t}[/tex] to say,

[tex]\begin{align*}\vec{J}(\vec{x}) &= \int\vec{J}(\vec{x'})\delta(\vec{x}-\vec{x'})d^{3}x'\\
&= -{1\over{4\pi}}\int\vec{J}(\vec{x'})\nabla^2 \left({1\over|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}\right)d^{3}x'
\end{align*}[/tex]
Since the del is about [tex]x[/tex] and independent of the integral variable,
[tex]\begin{align*}{}&=-{1\over{4\pi}}\nabla^2\int{\vec{J}(\vec{x'})
\over|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^{3}x'
\end{align*}[/tex]
And using the theorem
[tex]\nabla\times(\nabla\times\vec{A})=\nabla(\nabla\cdot\vec{A})-\nabla^2\vec{A}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{align*}\vec{J}(\vec{x}) &=
{1\over{4\pi}}\nabla\times\nabla\times\int{\vec{J}(\vec{x'})
\over|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^{3}x'-{1\over{4\pi}}\nabla\left(\nabla\cdot\int{\vec{J}(\vec{x'})
\over|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^{3}x'\right)\end{align*}[/tex]
But here Jackson take some hidden procedure to get from the second term of ther right side
[tex]-{1\over{4\pi}}\nabla\left(\int{\nabla'\cdot\vec{J}(\vec{x'})
\over|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^{3}x'\right)={1\over{4\pi}}\nabla\left(\int{\partial\rho(\vec{x'})/\partial t
\over|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}d^{3}x'\right)[/tex]
to use the continuity theorem to get the term about a time derivative of charge density at [tex]x'[/tex].

And I cannot see how is the differential about [tex]x[/tex] changed into a differential about [tex]x'[/tex] and got inside the integral, and is only applied to the current density, but not the denominator.

Can somebody explain it for me? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
He used the conservation of charge theorem thingy:

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = - \nabla \cdot \vec{J} [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give in some hints in words. If the magic behind Jackson's sleight of hand still remains elusive, I'll give some of the mathematical details.

1) Move the unprimed divergence into the integral.

2) Explicitly take the unprimed divergence of the integrand, so that no derivative symbols remain under the integral.

3) Note the symmetry between x and x', and also note that the product rule for primed coordinates gives that the integrand is the required final expression plus/minus a total primed divergence.

4) Use the divergence theorem (for primed coordinates) to turn this total divergence into a surface integral, and argue that the surface integral vanishes at infinity, and thus can be neglected.

Regards,
George

Thanks

Thanks, George.
I couldn't think of number 4).

Thanks to you Malleus, too, for your hand of help. It was the easy part but I diffused the point there. Sorry. ;)

1. What is current density?

Current density is a measure of the flow of electric charge through a particular area in a given amount of time. It is represented by the symbol J and is calculated by dividing the current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) through which it is flowing, J = I/A. It is typically measured in units of amperes per square meter (A/m²).

2. What is the theorem of curl of curl?

The theorem of curl of curl, also known as the Curl-Curl theorem, is a mathematical relation that states that the curl of the curl of a vector field is equal to the negative of the divergence of that vector field. In other words, it describes the relationship between the curl and divergence of a vector field in three-dimensional space.

3. How is current density related to the theorem of curl of curl?

Current density is related to the theorem of curl of curl through Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. The curl of the current density vector is equal to the negative of the time derivative of the electric field, which can be derived from the Curl-Curl theorem.

4. What is the practical significance of the theorem of curl of curl?

The theorem of curl of curl has practical significance in electromagnetism and engineering. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and is essential in the design and operation of various devices, such as motors, generators, and antennas.

5. Can the theorem of curl of curl be applied to vector fields in any dimension?

Yes, the theorem of curl of curl can be applied to any vector field in any dimension, as long as the field is well-defined and has continuous first and second-order partial derivatives. However, it is most commonly used in three-dimensional space.