Does the series SUM log(1+1/n) converge or diverge?

In summary, the question asks if the series SUM log(1+1/n) converges or diverges. One person argues that it converges because the limit of the terms inside the parentheses goes to 1 as n goes to infinity, making the limit of the entire series 0. However, this is not a sufficient condition for convergence. Another person points out that the series of 1/n diverges, so this one does too. The relevance of this is likely related to the limit comparison test. Ultimately, the series diverges, as shown by the sequence of partial sums tending to infinity.
happyg1
Hello,
Here's the question:
Does the series SUM log(1+1/n) converge or diverge?

I wrote out the nth partial sums like this:

log(1+1) + log(1+1/2) + log(1+1/3)+...+log(1+1/n)

It looks to me like the limit of the thing inside the parentheses goes to 1 as n goes to infinity, making the limit of the entire thing 0. So I say it converges.

One of my classmates says that SUM 1/n diverges, so this one does too. I can't disagree with him, but I fail to see the relevance.

I'm confused. Any clarification will be appreciated.
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
happyg1 said:
It looks to me like the limit of the thing inside the parentheses goes to 1 as n goes to infinity, making the limit of the entire thing 0. So I say it converges.

The terms going to zero is a necessary but not sufficient condition for convergence of the series (1/n is your basic counterexample).

happyg1 said:
One of my classmates says that SUM 1/n diverges, so this one does too. I can't disagree with him, but I fail to see the relevance.

They probably have the limit comparison test in mind. You can also look at the integral comparison test, you can find an antiderivative of log(1+1/n) easily enough.

The series diverges ..
Take the sequance of partial sums ..
[tex] S_n = \sum_{k=1} ^n\log \left( 1 + \frac 1k \right) = \sum_{k=1} ^n \log \left ( \frac { k+1} { k} \right )
= \sum_{k=1} ^n \log (k+1) - \log (k) \mbox{ ( Telescoping series } [/tex]

[tex] = (\log 2 - \log 1) + (\log 3 - \log 2) +... + (\log n - \log (n-1) ) + (\log (n+1) - \log n) [/tex]

[tex]= - \log 1 + \log ( n+1 ) = \log (n+1) [/tex]
[tex] \lim _ { n \rightarrow \infty } S_n = \lim _ { n \rightarrow \infty } \log ( n+1) = \infty
\Longrightarrow \sum_{n=1} ^ {\infty}\log \left( 1 + \frac 1n \right) \mbox{ diverges } [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that has an infinite number of terms. Each term in the series is added together to form a sum. For example, the infinite series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... is the sum of all the terms 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and so on.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of an infinite series is determined by the limit of its terms. If the limit of the terms approaches a finite number, the series converges. If the limit of the terms approaches infinity or does not exist, the series diverges.

3. What is the difference between a geometric series and an arithmetic series?

A geometric series is a type of infinite series where the ratio between consecutive terms remains constant. An arithmetic series, on the other hand, has a constant difference between consecutive terms. For example, the series 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + ... is a geometric series with a common ratio of 2, while the series 3 + 6 + 9 + 12 + ... is an arithmetic series with a common difference of 3.

4. How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be found by using a formula or by finding the limit of the partial sums of the series. For example, the sum of the infinite series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... can be found by using the formula S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, the sum is equal to 2.

5. What are some real-world applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have many applications in science, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of natural phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and fluid dynamics. In finance, infinite series are used in the calculation of compound interest and in the valuation of stocks and bonds.