Need help with an airfoil name

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airfoil
In summary, a student has two labs, one in Calc 3 and one in aerodynamics. In Calc 3, they are using an airfoil described by a piece-wise function and are wondering if they can match up the airfoil to the given function or if they need to choose a known airfoil. The standard naming convention for airfoils, known as the NACA 4 digit convention, involves expressing the maximum camber and thickness of the airfoil as a percentage of the total chord length. Another naming convention is also used, with values typically expressed in terms of % chord length.
physicsCU
OK, I have two labs, one in Calc 3, one in aerodynamics.

In calc 3, we are using an airfoil described by a piece-wise function. How can I figure out what the name of that airfoil is?

By that, I mean can I match up the airfoil to the function given?

Or will I have to work backwards and choose a known airfoil?

Engineering news on Phys.org
if you are using the standard NACA 4 digit convention then it works as follows.

For a NACA 2412, the maximum camber occurs at 24% down the chord from the leading edge, and the maximum thickness of the airfoil is 12% of the total chord length.

For a NACA 0016. the airfoil has no camber (thus is symmetric) and has a maximum thickness of 16% of the total chord lenght.

There are other naming conventions as well and the values are typically expressed in terms of % chord

It sounds like you are trying to determine the name of an airfoil based on its description as a piece-wise function. In order to do this, you may need to work backwards and compare the function to known airfoil shapes. There are many resources available online that provide information and diagrams of common airfoil shapes, so you may be able to find a match by researching and comparing the function to these shapes. Alternatively, if you have access to an airfoil database or have a textbook on aerodynamics, you may be able to find the name of the airfoil by looking up its coordinates or characteristics. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with your aerodynamics professor or a classmate for assistance.

1. What is an airfoil?

An airfoil is a shape designed to create lift when moving through a fluid, such as air. It is commonly used in aircraft wings and propeller blades.

2. Why do I need help with an airfoil name?

Choosing the right name for an airfoil can help differentiate it from other designs and make it easier to reference. It can also help convey important information about the airfoil, such as its intended use or unique features.

3. How do I come up with a name for my airfoil?

When naming an airfoil, consider its characteristics, purpose, and any other relevant factors. You can also draw inspiration from existing airfoil names or use a combination of words that accurately describe the airfoil.

4. Can I use any name for my airfoil?

While there are no strict rules for naming an airfoil, it is important to avoid using names that are already trademarked or copyrighted by another company or individual. It is also recommended to choose a name that is easy to pronounce and remember.

5. Is there a specific format for naming an airfoil?

There is no set format for naming an airfoil, but it is common to use a combination of numbers and letters that correspond to specific characteristics or features of the airfoil. It is also helpful to use a consistent naming format for different airfoil designs within the same family.