Helicopter Problem: Solving After Release of Mailbag

• Thread starter jessedevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helicopter
In summary, at 2 seconds the mailbag is released from the helicopter. It reaches the ground after 3 seconds. The mailbag has a vertical velocity of 9t2 when it is released and the maximum height it will reach is Y=1/2 a* t2.
jessedevin

Homework Statement

The height of a helicopter above the ground is given by h is in meter and t is in seconds. After 2.00 s, the helicopter releases a small mailbag. How long after its release does the mailbag reach the ground?

Homework Equations

vxf= vxi+ax*t
vx,avg= (vxi +vxf)/2
xf=xi+1/2(vxi +vxf)*t
xf=xi+vxi*t+1/2a*t2
vxf2= vxi2+2*a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was put 2 sec into the height equation, then use the above bolded equation, where i put the constant of gravit as the acceleration and vxi as 0 and xi as h(2) and xf as 0, but the webassign online says i got it wrong and i did it like 5 times. Can someone tell me their thought process and the answer?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jessedevin said:

Homework Statement

The height of a helicopter above the ground is given by h is in meter and t is in seconds. After 2.00 s, the helicopter releases a small mailbag. How long after its release does the mailbag reach the ground?

Homework Equations

vxf= vxi+ax*t
vx,avg= (vxi +vxf)/2
xf=xi+1/2(vxi +vxf)*t
xf=xi+vxi*t+1/2a*t2
vxf2= vxi2+2*a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was put 2 sec into the height equation, then use the above bolded equation, where i put the constant of gravit as the acceleration and vxi as 0 and xi as h(2) and xf as 0, but the webassign online says i got it wrong and i did it like 5 times. Can someone tell me their thought process and the answer?

Thanks!

Why put in 2?

Is there something you left out of the problem statement?

The time is given directly by h = 1/2*g*t2

LowlyPion said:
Why put in 2?

Is there something you left out of the problem statement?

The time is given directly by h = 1/2*g*t2

Sorry, the equation given was h=3.00t3
I put in 2 seconds to find the height at which the helicopter releases the mailbag, and then put in that height as xi.

jessedevin said:
Sorry, the equation given was h=3.00t3
I put in 2 seconds to find the height at which the helicopter releases the mailbag, and then put in that height as xi.

h = 3* t3?

Whoa. That's a whole other ocean. It's got a vertical velocity component up as well as being in free fall.

What do you figure is the vertical velocity when it is released?

LowlyPion said:
h = 3* t3?

Whoa. That's a whole other ocean. It's got a vertical velocity component up as well as being in free fall.

What do you figure is the vertical velocity when it is released?

would it have vertical velocity? I am not sure, that's why I am asking for your help!

jessedevin said:
would it have vertical velocity? I am not sure, that's why I am asking for your help!

From that equation it would. dy/dt (vertical velocity) is certainly positive.

Does the problem say anything other than that it is just released. Are taking derivatives something you are supposed to be able to do in this course?

Do you know how to take dy/dt of y = 3 t3 ?

LowlyPion said:
From that equation it would. dy/dt (vertical velocity) is certainly positive.

Does the problem say anything other than that it is just released. Are taking derivatives something you are supposed to be able to do in this course?

Do you know how to take dy/dt of y = 3 t3 ?

No, everything that I stated in the first post is all the info I have. The course I am taking is a calculus based class, and I have already taken calc 3 and diff EQ, so yea i know how to take derivatives. But in class all we have been really using so far are just the formulas that I gave in the first post.

If I did use dh/dt, where dh/dt= 9t2, then I guess I could use one of the forumlas where I could use vf, but i still am confused.

jessedevin said:
No, everything that I stated in the first post is all the info I have. The course I am taking is a calculus based class, and I have already taken calc 3 and diff EQ, so yea i know how to take derivatives. But in class all we have been really using so far are just the formulas that I gave in the first post.

If I did use dh/dt, where dh/dt= 9t2, then I guess I could use one of the forumlas where I could use vf, but i still am confused.

OK then great. That's what your vertical velocity is.
dh/dt = Vy = 9t2 and at 2 seconds that value is your upward velocity.

Figure then the height that it will continue to go up.

V2/(2*a) = Y

That gives you it's maximum height (when you add the height it was dropped at).

But you need time. So figure from the first calculated height how long it took.

Y = 1/2 a* t2

That's time to max height after release.

Now take the total height and put it in the same equation again and you have the time to fall.

Time up + time down = total time. Voilà.

LowlyPion said:
OK then great. That's what your vertical velocity is.
dh/dt = Vy = 9t2 and at 2 seconds that value is your upward velocity.

But what does that have to do with dropping the bag? If you said that at 2 sec that's my value of the upward velocity, so then that is vi. So to find where the bag reaches its maximum height, v= 0. So the upward velocity at 2 sec is 36 m/s, so to find the time where the bag reaches the maximum height, you have to use vyf=vyi+ayt. When i do that I get t =3.67 sec. But then how do I find the maximum height? Am i in the right direction?

Okay i got it. Thanks.

jessedevin said:
Okay i got it. Thanks.

OK. Good luck then.

1. How does the helicopter problem relate to real-life situations?

The helicopter problem is a classic physics problem that involves solving for the position and velocity of a dropped object in freefall. In real-life situations, this problem can apply to scenarios like skydiving, parachuting, or dropping supplies from a helicopter.

2. What are the key principles involved in solving the helicopter problem?

The key principles involved in solving the helicopter problem include understanding the effects of gravity, air resistance, and initial conditions (such as the initial height and velocity of the dropped object). Other factors that may come into play include wind, air density, and the shape of the object being dropped.

3. How do you calculate the position and velocity of the dropped object in the helicopter problem?

To calculate the position and velocity of the dropped object, you can use equations of motion such as the kinematic equations or the equations of freefall. These equations take into account the initial conditions, as well as the forces acting on the object (such as gravity and air resistance).

4. How can you use the helicopter problem to understand the concept of terminal velocity?

The helicopter problem can help illustrate the concept of terminal velocity, which is the maximum velocity that a falling object can reach due to air resistance. As the object falls, the force of air resistance increases until it becomes equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving the helicopter problem?

The principles and equations used in solving the helicopter problem have many real-life applications, such as designing parachutes or airbags, predicting the trajectory of falling objects, and understanding the motion of projectiles. This problem also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and aviation.