Combinations with Replacement Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of combinations with replacement, with the final result being (n+k-1)ℂ(k). The speaker is struggling to understand the proof and is looking for an explanation. The concept is compared to selecting items from boxes with balls and dividers, with the formula being (n-1+k)Choose(k). The conversation also references further readings and explanations of the concept.
chaoseverlasting
I'm trying to work out the proof of combinations with replacement, but I can't quite understand the result of it.

(n+k-1)ℂ(k) is the result, could somebody please explain this to me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
chaoseverlasting said:
I'm trying to work out the proof of combinations with replacement, but I can't quite understand the result of it.

(n+k-1)ℂ(k) is the result, could somebody please explain this to me?
Could you state fully and precisely what you want to prove?

It is the formula for selection of k items with replacement from a set of n items. I understand the result now, but how do I prove it? Apparently its to be done by induction, but I'm not quite sure of how to approach it.

If I understood you correctly your problem is the following:
Given n items choose k from them. And replacement means you are allowed to choose an item more than once.

-------------------------

You can interpret the problem in the following way:
Imagine you have n=3 boxes. Each box stands for a fruit:
Apple-Box (Box #1)
Banana-Box (Box #2)
Orange-Box (Box #3)

You have k=10 balls and have to throw the balls into the boxes. Suppose you did the following:
Apple-box: 3 balls
Banana-box: 2 balls
Orange-box: 5 balls
This means you get 3 apples, 2 bananas and 5 oranges.

So, one combination is:
In box 1 we have 3 balls
In box 2 we have 2 balls
In box 3 we have 5 balls

---

We can model this by dividing the 10 balls into 3 blocks:
o o o | o o | o o o o o
The blue bars are the dividers.

Other combinations are:

All balls in box 1 (only apples):
o o o o o o o o o o | |

0 balls in box 1,
3 balls in box 2,
7 balls in box 3
| o o o | o o o o o o o

1 ball in box 1,
4 balls in box 2,
5 balls in box 3
o | o o o o | o o o o oFor n blocks (boxes) we need (n-1) dividers, e.g. n=3 requires (n-1)=2 dividers.
Now, how many "spots" do dividers and balls occupy? We have (n-1) dividers and
k balls, so in total we have (n-1+k) spots.

Then, let's analyze how many different positions there are for the balls:
Since we have (n-1+k) spots and k balls there are (n-1+k)Choose(k) different positions.

[tex] \binom {n-1+k} {k} [/tex]

Of course, you could also ask:
How many different positions are there for the (n-1) dividers?
Since we have (n-1+k) spots and (n-1) dividers there are (n-1+k)Choose(n-1) different positions. But this is the same as above:

[tex]\binom{n-1+k}{n-1} = \binom {n-1+k} {k} [/tex]

----

Further readings:
1. Counting selections with replacement
The derivation is given in the end.

2. Combinations - order doesn't matter, repetitions allowed
This is a PF thread.

• Love
Likes christang_1023
Last edited:
Thanks a lot Edgardo! That really helps man!

1. What is the concept of combinations with replacement?

Combinations with replacement is a mathematical concept that involves selecting a certain number of items from a larger set, where each item can be selected more than once. This means that the same item can be chosen multiple times in a single combination.

2. How is combinations with replacement different from combinations without replacement?

The main difference between combinations with replacement and combinations without replacement is that in the latter, once an item is selected, it cannot be chosen again. This means that the number of possible combinations is reduced with each selection, whereas in combinations with replacement, the number of combinations remains the same regardless of the selections made.

3. How do you calculate the number of combinations with replacement?

The formula for calculating the number of combinations with replacement is n^r, where n is the number of items in the set and r is the number of items being selected for each combination. For example, if you have 5 different colors of marbles and want to select 3 marbles at a time, the number of combinations with replacement would be 5^3 = 125.

4. Can you provide an example of combinations with replacement in real life?

An example of combinations with replacement in real life is when choosing a 4-digit pin for your bank account. There are 10 numbers (0-9) to choose from for each digit, and you can use the same number more than once. This means that there are 10^4 = 10,000 possible combinations for your pin.

5. How is combinations with replacement used in scientific research?

Combinations with replacement is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as genetics and biology. It can help determine the likelihood of certain genetic traits being passed down from parent to offspring or the probability of certain mutations occurring. It can also be used in statistical analysis to determine the significance of results and the probability of chance occurrences.