Using COMSOL Multiphysics FEA to test magnet

by bigconsultant
Tags: comsol fea magnetic
Share this thread:
bigconsultant
Mar6-12, 11:32 AM
P: 1
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am an engineering designer and I work for myself at www.thebigconsultant.com

I am trying to set up a FEA test using COMSOL software.

I have a trial version, and I wish to complete a simple test using the software, which will help me with my current customer enourmously!

What I want to do, is to set up two 5mm diameter x 1mm thick rod magnets facing each other and 14mm apart; then take measurements of the "Magnetic Field Flux" in various distances between them.

Once this is done, I would like to then plot a "Parametric Sweep", showing the effect of the same test but with (a) a pair of 3mm diameter magnets, and then (b) using a pair of 4mm magnets.

The second test I would like to do, is to vary the strength of one magnet by say 0.5% and 1% and to see how much this effects the null point between the field boundaries.

If possible, I would also like to do a similar test. But this time moving the probe that reads the field flux +/- 5mm longitudinally and at a fixed and equal distance from the faces of both magnets, to see what the result is.

Does anyone here use Comsol, and can anyone advise me how to get started? I got confused after I turned it on! ... Ha ha. Although I think that I could pick it up in short time, with a little help?

This work is for use on a new product that I am working on, and I will be waiting at least a week or more for a test jig, that would give me the same result, and would be quite expensive. I am hoping to see if this can be done more quickly and perhaps accurately.

Can anyone advise me how to get started? I know that I need to use the AC/DC solver, and I have read through the small introductory manual that came with the demo disk (which is quite good), but it does not cover anything electromagnetic.

I do have SolidWorks, so I also would like to import the magnets. But I must admit that I do not know really where to start.

Would I be best to activate the SolidWorks "LiveLink" and how do I do this. Also I have found the paper http://www.uk.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/213/ which is for a "One Sided Magnet", which appears to be the closest thing that I can find to what I am doing? ... I am guessing that I can perhaps follow the instructions for this, and maybe change the values to suit what I am trying to achieve?

Am I along the right lines? ... Attached is a file with the Jig that I have designed to undertake the same job (as PDF)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MAGNETIC TESTING JIG.PDF (130.8 KB, 9 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display

Register to reply