Register to reply

Application of Calculus in Non Continuous Physical Systems

Share this thread:
Phynite
May14-13, 03:04 AM
P: 6
In the mathematics of Calculus, a basic requirement is that the system or function should be continuous. Until the discovery that matter is discontinuous, applying Calculus in Physics was reasonable. But why is it still applied almost everywhere in physics ? Won't such applications produce erroneous results ?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
SteamKing
May14-13, 05:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,725
Which matter is discontinuous? Do you have specific examples in mind?
Phynite
May14-13, 08:58 AM
P: 6
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
Which matter is discontinuous? Do you have specific examples in mind?
Does it mean that some form of matter is continuous ? Matter, as we all know, is made up of atoms. So it is discrete and discontinuous. So I believe that application of Calculus is inappropriate in areas like Gravitation, Electromagnetism and Nuclear Physics.

SteamKing
May14-13, 10:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,725
Application of Calculus in Non Continuous Physical Systems

Well, I can't argue with your beliefs, but I reject them. Application of the calculus to the problems you mention has been quite successful. You assume that atoms behave independently regardless of circumstances. Your assumption that the calculus can deal only with mathematically continuous systems is also faulty. You also have not provided any examples, according to your hypothesis, that application of the calculus has provided faulty results when used to analyze physical phenomena.

Register to reply