Debye-Hückel Rule: Relaxation Effects in Electric Fields

• Thread starter Deadevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Debye
In summary, the conversation discusses the Debye Hückel Rule and the relaxation effect that occurs in the presence of an electric field. The question is raised about how the electric field affects the relaxation process and the possibility of it stopping the process. Further clarification is requested on the specifics of the relaxation and reshaping of the ionic cloud.
Deadevil
Dear Fellows,
In Debye Huckle Rule, how does Relaxation effect occurs in the presence of electric field.Logically it is not possible in the presence of electric field.Please help me out.

Thanks
Faisal

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Plz Plz Plz Reply this question i m an urgent need for this explanation.PLZZZ help out..

I fear I don't quite understand your question. Relaxation of what?
Maybe you can extend the description of what exactly you are interested in?

Btw, the second guy is called "Hückel", not Huckle.

Sorry for Huckel:-) relaxation effect of the molecules in the electrolyte when the electric field is applied..??

OK, you mean reshaping of the ionic cloud after the "central" ion moved.

Why would the electric field stop the process? It can shift the equilibrium positions of ions, but it won't stop the relaxation.

What is the Debye-Hückel rule?

The Debye-Hückel rule is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of ions in a solution when exposed to an electric field. It takes into account the effects of ion size and charge on the ion's mobility in the solution.

How does the Debye-Hückel rule explain relaxation effects in electric fields?

The Debye-Hückel rule explains relaxation effects by considering the movement of ions in a solution when an electric field is applied. The ion's movement is affected by its size and charge, as well as the presence of other ions in the solution. This results in a decrease in the overall conductivity of the solution, known as the relaxation effect.

What is the formula for the Debye-Hückel rule?

The formula for the Debye-Hückel rule is: κ = √(2nIze²/εRT), where κ is the Debye-Hückel parameter, n is the ion concentration, I is the ion strength, z is the ion charge, ε is the dielectric constant of the solution, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What are some real-world applications of the Debye-Hückel rule?

The Debye-Hückel rule has many practical applications in chemistry and physics. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of ions in solutions, such as in electrolytic cells and in the production of batteries. It is also important in studying the properties of colloids and the stability of emulsions.

How does temperature affect the Debye-Hückel rule?

The Debye-Hückel rule is affected by temperature through the gas constant, R, in the formula. As temperature increases, the value of R also increases, resulting in a decrease in the Debye-Hückel parameter. This means that at higher temperatures, the effects of ion size and charge are less significant, and the solution becomes more conductive.