Orbital theory - Molecular vs Hybrid orbitals

In summary: The two theories are complementary, and both can be used to describe chemical bonding. In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of hybrid orbitals and molecular orbitals in the context of molecular orbital theory. It also mentions the use of hydrogen-like orbitals in approximating molecular orbitals and the possibility of using hybrid orbitals to explain bond angles in certain molecules. The conversation concludes with a recommendation for further reading on quantum chemistry to understand these concepts more clearly.
christian0710
Hi I have a question regarding Molecular orbital theory:
Is it correctly understood that if we combine 2 or more atoms the atomic orbitals can become 2 things: They can either become Hybrid orbitals which are the orbitals that form sigma bonds between atoms, or they can become Molecular orbitals which are orbitals allowing the electrons to float freely around in the molecule in conjugated molecules and they always form pi bonds?

An example would be 1,3-butadiene: it has 4 molecular p-orbitals and 2*3= 6 hybridized sp2 orbitals? So the p-orbitals maintain their shape (like the atomic p-orbitals) but now we call them molecular orbitals.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
Hi I have a question regarding Molecular orbital theory:
Is it correctly understood that if we combine 2 or more atoms the atomic orbitals can become 2 things: They can either become Hybrid orbitals which are the orbitals that form sigma bonds between atoms, or they can become Molecular orbitals which are orbitals allowing the electrons to float freely around in the molecule in conjugated molecules and they always form pi bonds?
Not exactly. The molecular orbital theory you are talking about is better known as LCAO-MO: Linear Combination of Atomic Orbitals - Molecular Orbital. It is based on the idea that an MO can be approximated as the LC of AOs located on different atoms, but it says nothing about what those AOs should be. Most often, taking hydrogen-like AOs gives a good enough approximation to the MOs.

However, there are cases, and carbon is a good example, where these hydrogen-like AOs give predictions (such as bond angles) which make no sense. A good solution to this problem is hybridization: take the hydrogen-like orbitals, make linear combination of them into hybrid AOs, and use those in LCAO-MO theory.

christian0710 said:
An example would be 1,3-butadiene: it has 4 molecular p-orbitals and 2*3= 6 hybridized sp2 orbitals? So the p-orbitals maintain their shape (like the atomic p-orbitals) but now we call them molecular orbitals.
The sp2 orbitals are AOs, which combine into MOs to form the σ bonds. The un-hybridized (left over) p AOs combine into MOs to form π bonds.

Hi and thank you for the reply:
So in the below example you mention that sp2 orbitals ARE atomic orbitals (how can sp,sp2,sp3 be atomic orbitals- I thought they were only hybrid orbitals?) which form to combine Molecular orbitals. I'm not sure I'm following what you wrote aboute the LCAO-MO theory. So is it a incorrectly understood that when atomic orbitals combine they form hybrid orbitals (which form sigma bonds), and the left over orbitals (which are not hybridized) Can or cannot overlap to form sigma bonds?

Can you recommend a book i can read to understand it more clearly? I'm taking organic chemistry, and I wan't to understand how Molecular Orbital theory can descibe or account for all the chemical bonds and chemical interactions taking place in chemistry.

christian0710 said:
Hi and thank you for the reply:
So in the below example you mention that sp2 orbitals ARE atomic orbitals (how can sp,sp2,sp3 be atomic orbitals- I thought they were only hybrid orbitals?)
Atomic orbitals correspond to possible states for electrons in an atom. The hybirdized sp, sp2 and sp3 orbitals are still orbitals calculated for one atom, and therefore are atomic orbitals.

I mentionned "hydrogen-like" orbitals because the s, p and d orbitals that you are familiar with are adapted from the solution you get for the hydrogen atom (only one electron). When considering atoms with more than one electron, exact solutions are not possible, and an approximate description for orbitals is used.

christian0710 said:
So is it a incorrectly understood that when atomic orbitals combine they form hybrid orbitals (which form sigma bonds), and the left over orbitals (which are not hybridized) Can or cannot overlap to form sigma bonds?
When atomic orbitals are combined on one atom, the result is called hybrid orbtials (which are still atomic orbitals). When atomic orbitals are combined on different atoms, the result is a molecular orbital. When molecular orbitals are occupied, this can lead to the formation of a bond (ut not necessarily, some molecular orbitals are anti-bonding).

In organic chemistry, you are mainly concerned with the hybridization of C (although N hybridization can also explain the bonding in some molecules). In most cases, the hybrid orbitals will form sigma bonds and the left-over p orbitals (for sp and sp2) will make pi bonds.

christian0710 said:
Can you recommend a book i can read to understand it more clearly? I'm taking organic chemistry, and I wan't to understand how Molecular Orbital theory can descibe or account for all the chemical bonds and chemical interactions taking place in chemistry.
You have to look at books on quantum chemistry. A good choice is the one by McQuarrie:http://books.google.se/books/about/Quantum_Chemistry.html?id=zzxLTIljQB4C&redir_esc=y

One should also mention that hybrid orbitals are a concept from valence bond theory rather than molecular orbital theory.

1. What is the difference between molecular and hybrid orbitals?

Molecular orbitals are formed by the combination of atomic orbitals on different atoms within a molecule. Hybrid orbitals, on the other hand, are formed by the combination of atomic orbitals on the same atom. This results in a hybrid orbital with a different shape and energy than the original atomic orbitals.

2. How are molecular orbitals and hybrid orbitals similar?

Both molecular and hybrid orbitals are used to describe the distribution of electrons in a molecule. They both follow the same quantum mechanical principles and can be used to determine the electron density and energy levels in a molecule.

3. What is the significance of hybrid orbitals in molecular structure?

Hybrid orbitals play a crucial role in determining the shape and stability of a molecule. By combining atomic orbitals on the same atom, hybrid orbitals can better accommodate the bonding and non-bonding electron pairs, resulting in a more accurate representation of the molecule's structure.

4. How do we determine the type of hybridization in a molecule?

The type of hybridization in a molecule can be determined by the number of electron groups around the central atom. For example, a central atom with 4 electron groups will have sp3 hybridization, while a central atom with 3 electron groups will have sp2 hybridization.

5. Can molecular and hybrid orbitals coexist in a molecule?

Yes, molecular and hybrid orbitals can coexist in a molecule. In fact, most molecules have a combination of both types of orbitals. The molecular orbitals form the overall electron density of the molecule, while the hybrid orbitals help determine the specific geometric arrangement of the atoms in the molecule.