Were we really created from supernovas?

• Thread starter Chris42393
  • Start date
In summary, the theory that life on Earth originated from the aftermath of supernovas has been proposed and supported by evidence such as the observation of smaller stars forming lighter elements and the presence of heavy elements in the universe. While this theory has not been proven, it is widely accepted and is supported by the production of heavy elements through stellar processes. However, the existence of dark matter and dark energy in the universe raises questions about the early composition of matter and the validity of current models.
Chris42393
Hello, I'm just doing some research on how life on Earth started (for my own reasons) and I seen that a theory was we came to be from the aftermath of supernovas.

Is this the case? Has this been proved for sure?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello, I'm just doing some research on how life on Earth started (for my own reasons) and I seen that a theory was we came to be from the aftermath of supernovas.

Is this the case? Has this been proved for sure?

In the beginning the only matter was hydrogen. By fusion process in the star hydrogen forms to heavier element. Smaller stars stop forming element relative early. The last matter they build is lighter then iron. Then the gases expand and they then shrink to a dense dwarf. That's a well known fact and many smaller stars in different stages has been observed. I'm not sure if they get scattered and become part of other planets and stars.

Big stars however eventually forms iron and after that nothing can keep the enormous mass in the same volume as before. That's because the fusion process after iron lose binding energy, so the energy to expand the mass get less and less but the mass and gravity is still the same. After forming iron they implode with an unbelievable pressure which actually can form these heavier elements. These leads soon to an supernova explosion. The matter from these definitely get scattered far away. Ending up in nebulous, stars and planets.

If its proven? Yes big stars has been observed in many stages including supernovas. The light spectra from stars tells what elements they consist of as any spectra.

r-process nucleosynthesis in ejecta from neutron stars is an emerging candidate to explain heavy element production, e.g., http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.2939, The long-term evolution of neutron star merger remnants - I. The impact of r-process nucleosynthesis. The big bang produced only light elements, primarily hydrogen and helium with a sprinkling of elements through boron. Heavier elements are produced by stellar processes.

Earl of Plasma said:
In the beginning the only matter was hydrogen.

IMO that assertion needs justification.

I don't have any problem with the experimental evidence that new stars consist mostly of hydrogen, and synthesize heavier elements through fusion.

But given that most of the "known" universe appears to consist of dark matter and dark energy, neither of which are understood, it seems a bit presumptuous to assume that if our current models of the early universe predict that the all of the earliest matter was light elements, that prediction is beyond question.

(But I'm no expert here - I haven't read much about cosmology since the books by George Gamow et al!)

Aleph, I don't think dark matter and dark energy are included in the term "matter". So while both dark matter and dark energy almost certainly existed, they aren't included in the discussion here because they aren't normal matter.

1. What is a supernova and how does it relate to our creation?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses. The intense energy and heat released from a supernova can create new elements, including the ones that make up our bodies. Scientists believe that many of the elements essential for life on Earth were created in supernova explosions billions of years ago.

2. How do we know that we were created from supernovas?

Scientists have studied the composition of the universe and have found that many of the elements present in our bodies, such as carbon, oxygen, and iron, can only be formed in the extreme conditions of a supernova explosion. Additionally, the pattern of element distribution in our solar system and beyond supports the theory that we were formed from supernovas.

3. Can we observe supernovas today?

Yes, we can observe supernovas in distant galaxies with powerful telescopes. However, they are relatively rare and unpredictable events, so it is challenging to study them in detail. Scientists also study the remnants of supernovas, such as supernova remnants and neutron stars, to learn more about these explosive events.

4. How does the creation of elements in supernovas relate to the origins of the universe?

The Big Bang theory explains the origins of the universe, and scientists believe that the first elements were formed during this event. However, the Big Bang could only create the lightest elements, such as hydrogen and helium. The heavier elements that make up our bodies were formed later in the cores of stars and through supernova explosions.

5. Does this mean that we are made of stardust?

Yes, in a way, we are made of stardust. The elements that make up our bodies were created in the cores of stars and dispersed into the universe through supernova explosions. These elements eventually formed new stars, planets, and ultimately, us. So, in a sense, we are all made of the same stardust that has been recycled throughout the history of the universe.