How to calculate complex permittivity from complex conductivity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the complex permittivity (real permittivity and loss tangent) of a metamaterial from a table of complex conductivity vs. frequency. The individual seeking help is looking for a way to input this material into electromagnetic simulation tools. Suggestions are given to look for a table of permittivity for this material and to use the formula ##\epsilon =\epsilon_0+\frac{i}{\omega} \sigma## to calculate the complex permittivity.
carbon9
Hi,

I got the complex conductivity vs. frequency table of a metamaterial. Its first lines are like this:

f conductivity
1GHz 0.004+0.00297i
1.1GHz 0.004+0.00295i
1.2GHz 0.003+0.00294i

the table goes up to 10GHz.

Now the problem is that I need to enter this material into electromagnetic simulation tools. But these tools require a real permittivity and frequency dependent loss tangent (CST and HFSS). So how can I calculate complex permittivity (real permittivity and loss tangent) from the above data?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

carbon9 said:
Hi,

I got the complex conductivity vs. frequency table of a metamaterial. Its first lines are like this:

f conductivity
1GHz 0.004+0.00297i
1.1GHz 0.004+0.00295i
1.2GHz 0.003+0.00294i

the table goes up to 10GHz.

Now the problem is that I need to enter this material into electromagnetic simulation tools. But these tools require a real permittivity and frequency dependent loss tangent (CST and HFSS). So how can I calculate complex permittivity (real permittivity and loss tangent) from the above data?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert in the field, but conductivity and permittivity would seem to be fairly orthogonal properties. Have you tried finding a table of permittivity for this material?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductivity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permittivity

The problem is that there are many different conventions out there, but I would guess that in your case ##\epsilon =\epsilon_0+\frac{i}{\omega} \sigma##.

Hello,

I have the same problem. I have calculated the complex conductivity of a certain material at frequency fo. Now i want to introduce this material in HFSS. How can i determin the complex permitivity (real permitivity and loss tangent) from the complex conductivity?

If you figured out how to do this...can you please help me as well?

Many thanks in advance.

What is complex permittivity?

Complex permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two components: the real part, which represents the material's ability to store energy, and the imaginary part, which represents the material's ability to dissipate energy.

What is complex conductivity?

Complex conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electrical current. It also consists of two components: the real part, which represents the material's ability to conduct current, and the imaginary part, which represents the material's ability to absorb energy.

How do you calculate complex permittivity from complex conductivity?

The complex permittivity can be calculated by dividing the complex conductivity by the angular frequency of the applied electric field. This can be expressed in the equation: ε* = σ*/ω, where ε* is the complex permittivity, σ* is the complex conductivity, and ω is the angular frequency.

What is the difference between complex permittivity and complex dielectric constant?

Complex permittivity and complex dielectric constant are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. While complex permittivity takes into account the effects of both the real and imaginary parts of the material, complex dielectric constant only considers the real part of the material's permittivity.

How is complex permittivity used in practical applications?

Complex permittivity is an important parameter in many practical applications, including electronic devices, antennas, and materials used in microwave engineering. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of materials at high frequencies and in designing efficient and effective electronic components.