Register to reply

Static air pressure for flying

by Sknk1999
Tags: flying, pressure, static
Share this thread:
Sknk1999
Aug9-14, 08:05 AM
P: 1
I am doing a research project about wind pressure and the different uses one can achieve by changing the pressure, volume and speed. I am comparing a hot air balloon ride vs an air plane vs human flight. I am looking and what minimum and maximum MPH is needed to achieve human flight and with what CFM and what Staic air pressure. I really hope someone can spread light on this information.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
256bits
Aug9-14, 08:56 PM
P: 1,494
Hot air baloon achieves elevation due to bouyancy.

An airplane has forces acting upon it that can be simplified as thrust, drag, lift, weight.
Same thing I suppose for human flight, if you are inquiring about using technology to aid a human to achieve flight using his own muscle power for propulsion.

A human, himself though, in air acts somewhat like brick, with the force of gravity being the most predominate, except at terminal velocity when weight and downward air drag are equal. Some manoeuvres with the limbs are possible to adjust lateral motion, but still the only direction to go is down. Most sky divers will use a parachute to slow descent to acceptable levels - the ones without a parachute do not care much for their pancake form afterwards.

A glider has no thrust, so to achieve elevation it rides on the updraft of air currents. It then exchanges altitude forward speed to have air flow over the wings for lift.

Register to reply