Who was the inventor of Banana Oil?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of the inventor, discoverer, or isolator of banana oil, also known as pentylacetate, pentylethanoate, or amylacetate. George Washington Carver is suggested as a possible inventor, with some jokes and references made to his connection with bananas and monkeys. The conversation also briefly mentions black history month and the term "banana republic."
Mk
Who was the inventor, discoverer, or isolator of Banana oil aka pentylacetate / pentylethanoate / amylacetate?

Physics news on Phys.org
George Washington Carver? When in doubt, guess Carver.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/speccoll/collect/history/images/carvergw.jpg

Last edited:
:rofl: nice picture!

black history month?

didn't "Curious George Washington Carver" invent it?

get it? curious george...banana oil...monkey...ah forget it.

George the monkey? ...You are in dangerous territory, dogy.

yes curious george the monkey, BANANA oil. monkey/banana. am I the only one making the connection? Don't turn a good joke into a dumb racist comment. as far as dangerous territory is concerned I wouldn't feel comfortable anywhere else.

tribdog, kant lives in a banana republic.

I thought banana republic was the place you went to buy pith helmets

I heard walnut republic has holes in the hats.

tribdog said:
yes curious george the monkey, BANANA oil. monkey/banana. am I the only one making the connection? Don't turn a good joke into a dumb racist comment. as far as dangerous territory is concerned I wouldn't feel comfortable anywhere else.

Good joke? well, that is arguable. As for the racist comment, you are either being too serious, or i hit a nerve.

cyrusabdollahi said:
tribdog, kant lives in a banana republic.

Damn, you are one piece of genius.

What is a banana republic, what makes a banana republic, where is a banana republic?

Its a clothing store I think.

1. Who is credited as the inventor of Banana Oil?

The inventor of Banana Oil is believed to be chemist Percy Julian.

2. When was Banana Oil invented?

Banana Oil was first synthesized in 1934 by Percy Julian while working for the Glidden Company.

3. What is Banana Oil used for?

Banana Oil, also known as isoamyl acetate, is commonly used as a flavoring agent in foods and beverages, as well as a solvent in industrial applications.

4. How is Banana Oil made?

Banana Oil is made through a process called esterification, where acetic acid and isoamyl alcohol are combined and heated together to form the compound.

5. Are there any health risks associated with Banana Oil?

Banana Oil is generally considered safe for consumption, however, prolonged exposure to high concentrations may cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. It is important to use proper safety precautions when handling Banana Oil in its concentrated form.