Buy a Celestron C-6N reflector

• Thread starter Physicsisfun2005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflector
In summary, the Celestron C-6N is a good scope for the price, but it may need some "rehab" after you get it.
Physicsisfun2005
I have owned 2 other types of telescopes previously and i am looking to buy a Celestron C-6N reflector. Does anyone have any comments on this scope? (+'s or -'s)

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Physicsisfun2005
I have owned 2 other types of telescopes previously and i am looking to buy a Celestron C-6N reflector. Does anyone have any comments on this scope? (+'s or -'s)
If you are buying the whole scope/mount package:

http://www.astronomics.com/main/pro...ku=C6N&bURL=tCelestron.asp&mystype=Reflectors

then I would say that the mount is undersized and very unstable without replacing the aluminum legs with sturdy wooden legs. I have owned this mount (different scope on it) and it just doesn't do the job, especially with a 6" Newt. Mine got a fair bit better by adding wood legs from Naturewatch in Canada at $129, plus adjusting the entire EQ head so that the bearings were tight and all the slack taken out of the worm gear engagement.

As far as the optical tube itself, at F/5 you will have a good bit of "coma" with all but high power eyepieces. Also, the focuser is quite high which means that the secondary mirror is larger than should be necessary. This leads to loss of contrast (= less detail). The pluses are that the price is right for an EQ mounted 6" scope, especially if you are willing to do some "rehab" after you get it. A longer focal length Newtonian will cause fewer image and collimation problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Orion 6EQ which, from what I understand, is the same OTA as the C6-N (by Synta). All the reviews I've read are pretty favorable as well. Google will provide you with plenty I am certain.

1. What is the price of the Celestron C-6N reflector?

The price of the Celestron C-6N reflector can vary depending on where you purchase it. However, it typically ranges from $300 to $400.

2. What is the aperture of the Celestron C-6N reflector?

The Celestron C-6N reflector has an aperture of 150mm, or approximately 5.9 inches. This means it has a larger light-gathering capacity than smaller telescopes, allowing for better views of faint objects in the night sky.

3. Is the Celestron C-6N reflector suitable for astrophotography?

Yes, the Celestron C-6N reflector is suitable for astrophotography. It has a sturdy mount and a long focal length, making it easier to focus and track objects in the sky. However, additional accessories may be needed for more advanced astrophotography.

4. What can I expect to see with the Celestron C-6N reflector?

The Celestron C-6N reflector is capable of viewing a wide variety of celestial objects, including planets, star clusters, galaxies, and nebulae. With its large aperture, it can provide clear and detailed views of these objects, even in light-polluted areas.

5. Is the Celestron C-6N reflector easy to set up and use?

Yes, the Celestron C-6N reflector is relatively easy to set up and use. It comes with detailed instructions and most of its parts are pre-assembled. However, it may take some practice and patience to fully master the use of the telescope for optimal viewing.