Calculating a correction factor

• Thread starter laminatedevildoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Correction
In summary, the conversation revolves around calibrating a circuit that is hooked up to a voltmeter and a power supply. The goal is to make the voltmeter read zero in both the x and y directions when the circuit is horizontal. However, when placed on a leveled surface, the voltmeter does not read zero and a correction factor needs to be determined for each side of the circuit. This is done by calculating the angles using a calibration curve fit equation and using trigonometry to determine the required height for each side. The device being calibrated is a tilt meter sensor and a link to the device is provided for reference.
laminatedevildoll
I am trying to calibrate this circuit, and it is hooked up to a voltmeter and also a power supply. When the circuit is horizontal, the voltmeter is supposed to read zero both in the x and y direction. Here, the x-direction is determined by tilting the circuit up and down and the y-direction is determined by tilting the circuit left and right (or something like that). Anyway, when I put the circuit on the leveled surface however, the voltmeter doesn't read zero for both x and y values. Therefore, in order for the voltage reading to read zero, I have sort of adjust the length of the four sides of the circuit so that the voltage is zero when it is on a leveled surface.

The circuit came with a calibration curve fit equation
theta = a + bV +cV**2+dV**3+eV**4+fV**5

where V is the X or Y output

and a,b,c,d,e,f is given for both the x-axis and the y-axis.

I calculated the angles using the voltage values I found when the circuit was leveled on the surface.

The voltage when the circuit is horizontal is 0.1999 arc degrees for the x-axis and -1.023 arc degrees for the y-axis. Using these values, I have to determine a correction factor for the four sides of the circuit, so I can make four stands to make the voltage zero when it's on a leveled surface. I'd appreciate if someone could give me some input on how I should do this. I know I have to use the angles I calculated somehow.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Woof. What in the world are you talking about devildoll? Voltage does not have units of arc-degrees for starters. What is the device you are trying to calibrate? It sounds like it is some kind of tilt meter sensor?

Oops sorry. I meant the calculated theta (angle) from the equation above equals 0.1999 arc degrees for the x-axis and -1.023 arc degrees for y-axis. The measured voltages were 0.026 V for the x-axis and the -0.243 V for y-axis. I suppose the the value for the x-axis is close to zero, but the value for the y-axis is way off. So, I have to build four little stands of appropriate length so that when the device is on a leveled surface, the voltage reads zero. Yeah, I suppose you could say it's a title meter sensor, and it is going to be on a magnetometer.

Last edited:
Not knowing exactly what the setup is, it's hard for me to make much of a suggestion. Can you just tilt the thing by hand until you get zero, and measure that angle? It sounds like you are wanting to make an adapter pre-tilt thing to get zero out when the adapter+sensor are placed on a level surface, so just tilt the sensor until you get zero, and make something that provides that tilt. Better yet, squish the sensor down in some soft putty on a level surface and tilt it to get zero, then let the putty dry into a permanent adapter.

Yeah, I guess when I tilt the tiltmeter, I can get a zero voltage for both x and y. However, in order to make something that makes the tilt, my advisor wants me to calculate by how much for each side. So, since I have the x and y angles (calculated from the calibration curve fit equation which came with the device), and the length of each side, I guess I could use trig, maybe, the tan function to calculate the required height to make the correction right?

By the way, here's a link of the device

http://www.geosystems.com.au/pdpm02.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds right. Looks like a fun project!

1. What is a correction factor and why is it important in scientific calculations?

A correction factor is a numerical value used to adjust a calculation to account for any discrepancies or errors in the data. It is important because it helps to improve the accuracy and precision of the results.

2. How do you calculate a correction factor?

To calculate a correction factor, you need to first determine the difference between the observed value and the expected value. Then, divide this difference by the expected value. The resulting value is the correction factor.

3. Can a correction factor be negative?

Yes, a correction factor can be negative. This means that the observed value is lower than the expected value and requires a negative adjustment to correct for the discrepancy.

4. What are some common sources of error that may require a correction factor?

Some common sources of error include measurement errors, instrument limitations, and environmental factors. Any discrepancies caused by these factors can be corrected using a correction factor.

5. How can you validate the use of a correction factor in your calculations?

The best way to validate the use of a correction factor is to perform multiple trials and compare the results with and without the correction factor applied. If the corrected results are more accurate and precise, then the use of a correction factor is justified.