Magnetic implant creates 6th sense

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the article discusses a magnetic implant, which stimulates somatosensory receptors in the fingertip, allowing recipients to locate electric stovetops, motors, and live electrical cables. The implant works by vibrating in response to electromagnetic fields, and the sensitivity may vary among individuals due to differences in physiology. Some have suggested that simply gluing a magnet to the finger may produce similar results. However, the implant may eventually be encapsulated by connective tissue, potentially reducing its effectiveness. Overall, the purpose and practicality of the implant remains a topic of debate.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Magnetic implant creates "6th sense"

According to Huffman, the magnet works by moving very slightly, or with a noticeable oscillation, in response to EM fields. This stimulates the somatosensory receptors in the fingertip, the same nerves that are responsible for perceiving pressure, temperature and pain. Huffman and other recipients found they could locate electric stovetops and motors, and pick out live electrical cables. Appliance cords in the United States give off a 60-Hz field, a sensation with which Huffman has become intimately familiar. "It is a light, rapid buzz," he says.
Article.

I personally think this is fascinating, and would like to see it developed further. Any thoughts?

Biology news on Phys.org
If you had one of those implants, you probably would not want an MRI taken on that part of your body. If you did have an MRI, the implant would torque (twist) strongly inside you.

I was hoping one of the physicists would chime in as to whether a magnet would vibrate as described under those conditions. If it does vibrate, then it's plausible that the mechanoreceptors in your fingers could detect the motion. At least, it would work until your body encapsulated the magnet in connective tissue to try to sequester the foreign object. I don't know if it would be enough to really perceive the change or not. Without knowing if the vibration would really happen, I'm not sure if this is a real sensation or a tingling due to damaged nerves in the fingertip caused by the implant and having nothing to do with EM fields.

I'm still not sure WHY you'd want to do that to yourself. :rolleyes:

Why make it an implant? Isnt the only reason that it conveys its information to the body? There are so many better ways to receive information, like mmm a picture or a sound... Id prefer a haptic-like device myself.

EDIT: The market for the sex toy industry must be astronomical... :rofl:

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I was hoping one of the physicists would chime in as to whether a magnet would vibrate as described under those conditions.
As long as current is flowing in the wires, it will vibrate. To get an idea of what happens; when there is an AC (alternating current) electrical signal present, a corresponding magnetic force associated with the signal, will oscillate along with it. This will induce a torque (motion) in a fixed (in this case; implanted) magnet which will oscillate (move forward and backward) with the periodicity of the signal. (For a 60Hz signal its http://users.uma.maine.edu/faculty/rsm/slides/chap4/f4-3a.gif is 1/f = 16.7msec.). Try holding a floating compass near a wire carrying current and watch what happens to the compass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I was hoping one of the physicists would chime in as to whether a magnet would vibrate as described under those conditions. If it does vibrate, then it's plausible that the mechanoreceptors in your fingers could detect the motion. At least, it would work until your body encapsulated the magnet in connective tissue to try to sequester the foreign object. I don't know if it would be enough to really perceive the change or not. Without knowing if the vibration would really happen, I'm not sure if this is a real sensation or a tingling due to damaged nerves in the fingertip caused by the implant and having nothing to do with EM fields. :rolleyes:
When I was playing with magnetic sensors it was easy to detect current in say a lamp power cord. So I don't see any reason to complain about a small magnet vibrating next to one. The sensitivity of a finger is pretty high, so I wouldn't just rule it out.

OTOH there is always the "golden ear" effect, where someone that claims to be able to detect something just can't do it in a double blind test.
The variability of the reported results makes this a possibility. Variations in physiology could also come into play.
Don't know if the encapsulation effect would make a difference since the capsule would vibrate with the magnet.

I would think it would work just as well if you just glued the magnet to your finger. So maybe someone with some spare time, a suitable magnet and some glue could try it out. :smile:

Moonbear said:
I'm still not sure WHY you'd want to do that to yourself. :rolleyes:
Makes at least as much sense as body piercing. :yuck:

*Runs off and briskly rubs his nipple piercings up against his guitar amp magnet*

3trQN said:
*Runs off and briskly rubs his nipple piercings up against his guitar amp magnet*
:rofl: and the result of your experiment?

Moonbear said:
I was hoping one of the physicists would chime in as to whether a magnet would vibrate as described under those conditions.
Yes, it would (try to oscillate when brought near any AC current). The strength of the forces and torques however, is what is important. And I have no idea what the sensitivity of a mechanoreceptor is like.

If it does vibrate, then it's plausible that the mechanoreceptors in your fingers could detect the motion.
Would the sensitivity be much greater than if I just stuck a piece of the same magnet (over the skin) on my fingertip? How much does it help to be embedded? Does the implant make "direct contact" with the receptor? These must sound like completely idiotic questions, but I have no idea of the spatial geometry of these things.

At least, it would work until your body encapsulated the magnet in connective tissue to try to sequester the foreign object.
Even then, the torque will be transferred to this connective tissue. But if there's a lot of lossy tissue that gets between the implant and the receptor, the signal strength (or sensation) will diminish.

Last edited:

1. What is a magnetic implant and how does it create a 6th sense?

A magnetic implant is a small magnet inserted under the skin, typically in the fingertip, that allows individuals to sense and interact with magnetic fields. This creates a 6th sense, similar to how animals like birds and fish can sense the Earth's magnetic field for navigation.

2. How is a magnetic implant inserted and is it safe?

The implantation process involves a small incision in the skin and placement of the magnet under the skin. While this procedure is generally safe, there are some risks involved, such as infection or rejection of the implant by the body.

3. What are the potential benefits of having a magnetic implant?

Having a magnetic implant can provide individuals with a unique sensory experience, allowing them to sense magnetic fields and potentially improve their spatial awareness and perception. It can also be used for practical purposes, such as picking up small metal objects or interacting with electronic devices.

4. Are there any drawbacks or limitations to having a magnetic implant?

One potential drawback is the risk of infection or rejection of the implant. There is also a possibility of the magnet shifting or breaking, which may require removal or replacement. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic sense may vary among individuals and could potentially cause discomfort or interference with medical devices.

5. Is the use of a magnetic implant ethical?

The ethical implications of having a magnetic implant are a subject of debate. Some argue that it is a personal choice and can enhance one's abilities, while others raise concerns about potential risks and the potential consequences of altering one's sensory perception. It is important for individuals to thoroughly research and consider the implications before undergoing the procedure.