Please help - chemical bonding and energy change

In summary, the conversation involved a question about using bond energies to estimate the energy change deltaH (in kJ/mol) for a specific reaction. The questioner initially made a mistake in their calculations but then corrected it with the correct answer being -277.4 kJ/mol.
lorka150
I am not positive if I did this correctly, but I was wondering if someone could check and then, potentially, offer ideas.

The question asked to use bond energies and estimate the energy change deltaH (in kJ/mol) for

N=N + 2H2 --> H2N-NH2

(that first N=N is triple)

I think I just realized I did this wrong, because I didn't use a triple for the first one, but I'll write down what I did anyway, and maybe someone can help.

N=N = 418 kJ
H2 = 872.8 kJ
total = 1290.8 kJ

Then, I did
4 H2 bonds = 4x436.4 = -1745.6
2 N-H bonds = 2 x 393 = -786
total = -2531.6

Therefore, 1290.8 + (-2531.6) = -1240.8 kJ/mol

sheesh... Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you did this wrong. The correct answer should be: N=N = 945 kJH2 = 436.4 kJ total = 1381.4 kJThen, 2 H2 bonds = 2x436.4 = -872.8 2 N-H bonds = 2x393 = -786 total = -1658.8 kJ/mol Therefore, 1381.4 + (-1658.8) = -277.4 kJ/mol

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your question. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things to consider in order to accurately calculate the energy change for this reaction.

Firstly, when calculating bond energies, it is important to use the correct units. Bond energies are typically given in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol), so make sure to convert any values given in kilojoules (kJ) to kJ/mol.

Secondly, you are correct in realizing that the first N=N bond should be tripled, since it is a triple bond. So the correct bond energy for N=N would be 1254 kJ/mol (3 x 418 kJ/mol).

Additionally, it is important to consider the direction of the reaction when calculating the energy change. In this case, the reaction is going from N=N + 2H2 to H2N-NH2, so we would need to subtract the energy of the reactants from the energy of the products.

Using the correct bond energies and taking into account the direction of the reaction, the calculation would look like this:

N=N = 1254 kJ/mol
2H2 = 2 x 436.4 = 872.8 kJ/mol
H2N-NH2 = 2 x 393 = 786 kJ/mol

Energy of reactants = 1254 kJ/mol + 872.8 kJ/mol = 2126.8 kJ/mol
Energy of products = 786 kJ/mol

Energy change (ΔH) = Energy of products - Energy of reactants
= 786 kJ/mol - 2126.8 kJ/mol
= -1340.8 kJ/mol

Therefore, the estimated energy change (ΔH) for this reaction is -1340.8 kJ/mol.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion. Keep up the good work in your studies of chemical bonding and energy changes!

1. How do chemical bonds form?

Bonds between atoms form when the outermost electron shells of two or more atoms overlap, creating a shared region of electron density. This shared region is known as a bond and allows the atoms to become more stable.

2. What is the difference between covalent and ionic bonding?

Covalent bonding occurs when atoms share electrons in order to achieve stability, while ionic bonding involves the transfer of electrons from one atom to another. In covalent bonding, the atoms involved have similar electronegativities, while in ionic bonding there is a large difference in electronegativity between the atoms.

3. How does energy change during a chemical reaction?

Energy changes during a chemical reaction due to the breaking and formation of bonds between atoms. Breaking bonds requires energy, while forming bonds releases energy. The net change in energy during a chemical reaction can be either endothermic (absorbing energy) or exothermic (releasing energy).

4. What factors affect the strength of a chemical bond?

The strength of a chemical bond is affected by several factors, including the types of atoms involved, the distance between the atoms, and the number of shared electrons. Generally, smaller atoms with higher electronegativities and shorter bond lengths will have stronger bonds.

5. How can we determine the energy change of a chemical reaction?

The energy change of a chemical reaction can be determined by measuring the difference in energy between the reactants and the products. This can be done through various methods, such as measuring the temperature change of the reaction or using a calorimeter to directly measure the heat released or absorbed by the reaction.