What is the magnetic dipole moment of a rotating charged record?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic dipole moment of a rotating phonograph record with a uniform surface charge. To do this, we first need to find the current, which can be done by using the surface charge density and the flow of current. Then, using the equation for magnetic dipole moment, we can calculate the answer. The correct equation to use is m = 1/2 ∫r' x K(r') da', where da = r dr dθ.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

A phonograph record of radius R carrying a unifrom surface charge sigma is rotating at a cosntant angular velocity omega. Find its magnetic dipole moment

Homework Equations

[tex] m = int I \bullet da [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Need to find the current first

well the sruface charge density is
[tex] K = \sigma \omega R [/tex]

[tex] K = \frac{dI}{dl_{perp}} [/tex]

where dl perp is the infinitesimal widthruning parallel to the flow of current
so here dl perp refers to circumference
[tex] I = \int K \bullet 2 \pi r dr [/tex]??

is this even close to being right??
I fear i may have made some geomterical error..

thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ahh i got the answer using the equation

[tex] \vec{m} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{S} \vec{r}' \times \vec{K}(\vec{r'}) da' [/tex]

[tex] da = r dr d\theta [/tex]

thanks anyway!

What is magnetic dipole moment?

Magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength of a magnetic dipole, which is a magnetic field created by the alignment of positively and negatively charged particles. It is a vector quantity that describes the orientation and strength of a magnetic dipole.

How is magnetic dipole moment measured?

Magnetic dipole moment is typically measured in units of ampere-square meters (A·m^2). It can be calculated using the equation M = I · A, where M is the magnetic moment, I is the current, and A is the area of the loop or coil generating the magnetic field.

What factors affect the magnetic dipole moment?

The magnetic dipole moment is affected by the amount of current flowing through the loop or coil, the number of turns in the coil, the orientation of the coil relative to an external magnetic field, and the magnetic permeability of the material used in the coil.

What is the significance of magnetic dipole moment in physics?

Magnetic dipole moment plays a crucial role in electromagnetic theory and has applications in many areas of physics, including electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. It is also used in various technological devices such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines.

How can magnetic dipole moment be used to understand the behavior of magnets?

The magnetic dipole moment of a magnet describes its strength and orientation, which can be used to predict the behavior of the magnet in different situations. For example, the interaction between two magnets can be explained by the alignment and relative strengths of their magnetic dipole moments.