Exploring Magnetohydrodynamic Water Propulsion for Silent Submarines

In summary: The maximum depth a submarine can go is limited due to the integrity of the hull. However, if the inside of the submarine was filled with a non-conductive liquid, the submarine would be able to go much deeper than it is currently able to.
berkeman said:
Like, fill the submarine with oxygenated Flourinert?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flourinert

Then train all the submariners to breath the stuff, and give them special glasses so that they can focus on the displays and see still. Kind of like (what was the name of that movie...something like The Deep or The Chasm?...with the John Glenn actor guy?)

Is this for real? I know it was in the movie, and the Wiki indicates tests with rats, but wow. Or are you going to be receiving a visit from some gentlemen with dark glasses and suits?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, it isn't for real. People can't breathe liquid.

russ_watters said:
No, it isn't for real. People can't breathe liquid.

Ah. I read the 'then' as 'they'!

EDIT: And skimmed over the part where the rats later died of lung trauma after being removed from the solution.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
I don't know how a nuclear boat cools the condensers but with a 30-50MW reactor something has to dump a lot of heat.
mgb-phys,

They sure do cool the condensers with sea water. They run a normal Rankine cycle.

A colleague of mine is a former US Navy submarine engineering officer. He related his experience
in the following. Because the condensers are exposed to seawater - they have sacrificial anodes -
a replaceable plug that is allowed to corrode in order to minimize corrosion of the main body of the
condenser. The plug screws into an approximately 1 inch hole in the condenser and is supposed
to have a wire through the cap to make sure it doesn't get loose.

My colleague was standing an engineering watch when one of those plugs popped out and they had
a 1 inch hole open to seawater pressure. There was a loud bang and a roar as water poured in via
that 1 inch hole. My colleague immediately hit an emergency button to close a valve to stop the influx
of seawater into the engine compartment.

Even though the hole was only 1 inch in diameter, and the whole incident lasted only a few seconds -
the time it took for him to hit the button and close the valve - the water level in the engineering space
was a couple feet deep. A LOT of water poured in during a very short period of time.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Morbius said:
The plug screws into an approximately 1 inch hole in the condenser and is supposed to have a wire through the cap to make sure it doesn't get loose.
And presumably a label saying - "do not remove" !

Morbius said:
In regards to fishing, I doubt that they want to open the hull to bring anything inside.
You also don't want to have anything "passing through" the pressure hull; otherwise
you are asking for trouble.

The sub could fish on the surface, but a Trident stays underwater pretty much thourgh out
the mission in order to avoid detection by satellite.

Utilizing the subs sonar, torpedo tubes, and a bit of ingenuity, I believe fishing would be quite possible underwater. They might even be able to fabricate a crab pot. Now that I could eat for 20 years. Although you would then have to solve the "how are we going to store that much butter" problem.

OC
Ex-Submariner

mgb_phys said:
And presumably a label saying - "do not remove" !
mgb_phys,

In this case, nobody removed the plug - it worked loose by itself.

However, it was not properly wired with a wire through the head to prevent rotation.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Morbius said:
mgb_phys,
In this case, nobody removed the plug - it worked loose by itself.
Yes I know - I'm just picturing a big cork in a hole in the side of the sub with a note saying 'do not remove'

Rather like this (about 15 sec in)

Last edited by a moderator:
whats dielectrophoresis and could you do anything with that? regarding movement through water...