How do I integrate u^-1 with new limits after substitution?

In summary, the conversation is about a question on integration where the original equation has been substituted with a new value and the limits have changed. The question is how to integrate u^(-1) du with limits of 1 and 2. One person suggests using the derivative of the natural logarithm, while the other person is unsure if it can be used with a non-linear expression. After some discussion, it is determined that u can be written as (u) = 1*u+0 and the final answer is ln2.
markyp23

Homework Statement

problem.jpg

Homework Equations

None. Well, dx=du/cosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I've substituted it in, got new values for the limits but I have u^-1 on the bottom and so can't integrate it from my current knowledge. Basically I'm stuck with:

Integration of u^(-1) du with limits of 1 and 2.

Any help appreciated. Apologies for not being able to work the Latex system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seriously, you haven't encountered the derivative of the natural logarithm yet?

I have but I thought it had to be a linear expression to use the natural log. It did cross my mind though - this is what to do, then?

What do you mean by a "linear expression"??

Something of the form (ax+b).

Decided to assume that (u) is in that form and so worked it through. Is ln(2) the final answer?

Ask yourself:
May we write u=1*u+0?

Sure, the answer is ln2

Thanks for your help! :)

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a method used to evaluate integrals that involve a composite function. It involves substituting a variable u for part of the function and then using the chain rule to simplify the integral.

When should I use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is useful when the integrand (the expression being integrated) is a composite function, meaning it can be broken down into two or more simpler functions. It is also helpful when the integrand contains a function and its derivative, or when the integrand contains a function raised to a power.

How do I perform integration by substitution?

To perform integration by substitution, follow these steps:

1. Identify the function inside the integral that can be substituted with a variable u.
  2. Find the derivative of u with respect to x.
  3. Replace the function with u and its derivative with du in the integral.
  4. Simplify the integral using the chain rule.
  5. Integrate the simplified integral with respect to u.
  6. Replace u with the original function in terms of x.

What are the benefits of using integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution allows us to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It simplifies the integrand and makes the integration process more manageable. It is also a useful tool for solving a wide range of problems in calculus and physics.

Are there any limitations to integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution may not always work for every integral. Some integrals may require more advanced techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fractions. Additionally, substitution can only be used for integrals with a composite function, so it may not be applicable in all cases.