Can I Take the X Component Out When Differentiating with Respect to Z?

In summary, the conversation is about confusion regarding taking the x component out of an equation involving the cross product of a gradient and a force. The speaker is trying to figure out why the x component cannot be taken out when differentiating with respect to z. They have set up the equation using a determinant matrix but are unsure if the x component can be removed.
Oblio
I'm confused on a procedural idea...

If I'm doing the cross product of a gradient and 'the x component of a force' , so:

[tex] \nabla X F(x) = \frac{\partial}{\partial z} Fy [/tex]

and Fy = x..

even though I am differentiating with respect to z , I am solving for an x component, which means I can not take x out with the other constants... yes? (if there were some)

I guess I'm confused because I know this shouldn't = 0 afterwards, but I'm not differentiating wrt z, so I'm trying to figure out why.

Thanks a lot !

(F(z) is 0 in case your wondering why its only Fy.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is one looking at something like this?

[tex]det \[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
\hat{x} & \hat{y} & \hat{z} \\\
\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{y}} & \frac{\partial}{\partial{z}} \\\
F_x & F_y & F_z \end{array} \right]\] [/tex]

yes I am...
thats how I set up the equation, but I don't know if I may take x out or not.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable while keeping all other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariate calculus to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables changes.

2. How is a partial derivative calculated?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while treating all other variables as constants. This involves using the rules of differentiation such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. The result is a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function with respect to the chosen variable.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They allow us to analyze how a function changes in relation to specific variables, which is important for understanding the behavior of complex systems and making predictions. They also help us optimize functions by finding critical points and determining the direction of steepest ascent or descent.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of partial derivatives?

One example of a real-world application of partial derivatives is in economics, specifically in the field of microeconomics. Partial derivatives can be used to analyze how changes in one variable, such as price or quantity, affect the demand or supply of a product. This information is crucial for businesses and policymakers in making decisions about production, pricing, and market equilibrium.

5. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative is the number of variables involved. A partial derivative only considers the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while a total derivative takes into account the changes in all variables. Additionally, a total derivative represents the overall change in the function, while a partial derivative only represents the change in relation to one specific variable.