Proving Complex Function Well Defined

In summary, proving that a complex function is well defined means ensuring that the function is defined in such a way that to each value in the domain, there corresponds one and only one value in the codomain. This is checked by verifying that the function remains the same regardless of the method of definition or the choice of path.
Milky
What does it mean to prove a complex function is well defined?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, when you hastily define a function by means other than specifying explicitly each value of the function associated with each value of the domain, it is a good idea to check that the function is well defined. That is to say, that the way you defined your function indeed defines a function, in the sense that to each value in the domain corresponds one and only one value in the codomain.

So essentially, if:

[tex](x,y)=(x_0,y-0), \phi(x,y)=\phi(x_0,y_0)[\tex]

?

No, this is a triviality. If a=b, then always f(a)=f(b).

you want to show that if (x,y) is in the domain of the function, then there is one and only one element b in the codomain sucht that f(x,y)=b.

Last edited:
I've done an example in complex variables earlier, which I've repasted here. If I show you my reasoning would you be able to tell me if i proved it right?

Homework Statement

Let D be a connected domain in R^2 and let u(x,y) be a continuous vector field defined on D. Suppose u has zero circulation and zero flux for any simple closed contour on D.

[tex] u(x,y) = (u_1(x,y),u_2(x,y))[/tex]

[tex]\Gamma = \int_{c}(u\circ\gamma)tds = 0[/tex][tex]F=\int_{c}(u\circ\gamma)nds[/tex] = 0[/tex][tex] \phi(x,y)=\int_{c}(u\circ\gamma)tds [/tex][tex] \psi(x,y)=\int_{c}(u\circ\gamma)nds [/tex]Prove that [tex]\phi, \psi[/tex] are well defined.

The Attempt at a Solution

For [tex]\phi[/tex]:

I think to prove its well defined means to prove that if [tex](x,y)=(x_0,y_0), then \phi(x,y)=\phi(x_0,y_0)[/tex]

Let [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_2[/tex] be two independent paths from [tex](x,y) to (x_0,y_0)[/tex]

Then, these two paths form a closed contour [tex]C_0[/tex], for which the integral is zero. Then,

[tex]\int_{c_0}(u\circ\gamma)tds = 0 = \int_{c_2}(u\circ\gamma)tds - \int_{c_1}(u\circ\gamma)tds[/tex]Then, [tex]\int_{c_2}(u\circ\gamma)tds[/tex] = [tex]\int_{c_1}(u\circ\gamma)tds[/tex]So, when [tex](x,y)=(x_0,y_0)[/tex] the integrals are equal as well.
Is this how to prove it is well-defined?

Last edited:
Your notation for flux and circulation are too messy. And why do you invoke Cauchy when there is no mention of complex functions anywhere. The integrals over loops are simply all equal to 0 by hypothese. so, no, you did not prove anything.

This was the notation given to me by both my book and my professor. I have to work with what he wants me to work with.
Okay, I don't know where to start now. In my notes, I have that
[tex] \phi(x,y)=\int_{c}(u\circ\gamma)tds [/tex]
would be well defined if the integral was independent of the choice of path.

Do you have any suggestions to start me off? Thanks.

Pick two paths and show that they give the same answer.

Essentially, I thought that's what I was doing but now I'm confused.
I have revised post 5, and what I did was
1. Created two independent paths from [tex](x,y) to (x_0,y_0)[/tex]
2. Let the two paths form a closed contour C, in which [tex]C=C_2-C_1[/tex]
3. Since the integral of a closed contour is zero, then [tex]C_1=C_2[/tex]
Since they are equal, they are independent of the path. So, it is well defined.

Where have I gone wrong?

quasar987 said:
No, this is a triviality.
Not always. For example, consider these attempts to define a function of rational numbers:

[tex]
f\left(\frac{p}{q}\right) = \frac{p^2 + q^2}{2pq}
[/tex]

[tex]
f\left(\frac{p}{q}\right) = p^2 + q^2
[/tex]

One of these is a function, and one is not. The one that isn't fails precisely because of an example where a=b, but [itex]f(a) \neq f(b)[/itex].

Did I do it correctly?

Milky said:
2. Let the two paths form a closed contour C, in which [tex]C=C_2-C_1[/tex]

these are paths, subsets of R^2, what does it mean to subtract one from the other? Nothing in this case

3. Since the integral of a closed contour is zero, then [tex]C_1=C_2[/tex]

No. The paths are not the same. But you weren't supposed to show that.

Since they are equal, they are independent of the path. So, it is well defined.
where have I gone wrong.

In confusing a path with the integral along that path - I think you have the right idea though. Pick those two paths, C_1 and C_2, jointly they form a closed path, C and the integral around the path is zero. Call the integals I(C), I(C_1) and I(C_2) in the natural way.

0=I(C)

and I(C) equals what?

I(C) would be the addition of I(C_1) and I(C_2), but since one of those integrals goes in the clockwise direction, it would be I(C_1) - I(C_2)
So, then the integrals are equal?

1. What does it mean to prove a complex function is well-defined?

Proving that a complex function is well-defined means showing that the function is unambiguous and has a unique output for every input. This ensures that the function produces consistent and valid results.

2. Why is it important to prove a complex function is well-defined?

Proving that a complex function is well-defined is important because it ensures that the function is valid and reliable. Without this proof, the function may produce incorrect or inconsistent results, making it unreliable for use in mathematical calculations or scientific experiments.

3. What is the process for proving a complex function is well-defined?

The process for proving that a complex function is well-defined involves showing that the function's output is independent of the representation of the input. This can be done by considering different representations of the input and showing that the output remains the same.

4. Can a complex function be proven to be well-defined using examples?

Yes, providing examples can be a helpful way to illustrate and support the proof that a complex function is well-defined. By showing that the function produces consistent results for different inputs, examples can help strengthen the overall proof.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving a complex function is well-defined?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when proving a complex function is well-defined include assuming that the function is well-defined without actually proving it, using circular reasoning, and not considering all possible representations of the input. It's important to carefully and thoroughly consider all aspects of the function in order to create a strong and valid proof.