Exercises and problems on QED and QFT ?

In summary, Exercises and problems on QED and QFT involve practicing and solving various mathematical and theoretical concepts related to quantum electrodynamics and quantum field theory. These exercises and problems help students understand and apply the principles of these complex theories, which are fundamental to the study of particle physics. By working through these exercises and problems, students can develop their problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of the intricacies of QED and QFT.
kvl
I'm trying to study QFT using P&S book. Now I'm on the chapter 13 but I feel that I'm rather bad at solving practical problems on QFT and QED. Could anyone suggest a good source of problems (preferably with solutions) on QFT and QED (near the level of P&S ch. 1-13) to practise ? Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
kvl said:
I'm trying to study QFT using P&S book. Now I'm on the chapter 13 but I feel that I'm rather bad at solving practical problems on QFT and QED. Could anyone suggest a good source of problems (preferably with solutions) on QFT and QED (near the level of P&S ch. 1-13) to practise ?
Er,... you said you're trying to study QFT using P&S. Do you mean you're just reading
through P&S, or have you actually worked through every line in the text pen-in-hand?
(Some of the steps are non-trivial). And have you solved all the exercises in P&S so far?
[Prof Peskin has some handwritten solutions on his website. There are also some solutions
on the MIT website.]

strangerep said:
Er,... you said you're trying to study QFT using P&S. Do you mean you're just reading
through P&S, or have you actually worked through every line in the text pen-in-hand?
(Some of the steps are non-trivial). And have you solved all the exercises in P&S so far?
[Prof Peskin has some handwritten solutions on his website. There are also some solutions
on the MIT website.]
On the first reading I've solved approx. one exercise from each chapter, but now I'm solving the remaining ones. And of course I've repeated some of the calculations in the text myself.

What I want is some way to check myself. For example by solving exercises and checking if the answers were correct. Having solutions to exercises from P&S would be very cool but I'm still unable to find them (several hours of googling and looking through the website of Prof Peskin yield nothing - probably I'm just unlucky).

Thanks for the links !

as for books, there are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3540770135/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/019850621X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(this last one is a companion to Cheng and Li's Particle physics book)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810216157/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(not presently available but maybe your library has it. It's a neat book, filled with problems and their solutions, mostly particle physics stuff)

And a coming book "Field Theory demystified" by david McMahon

I would also suggest any of Greiner's books (on field quantization, QED, QCD, Electroweak Theory, etc) because he does a lot of examples in *great* details, showing all the steps that most other books skip. So it's great to learn how to *do* field theory and particle physics.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between QED and QFT?

QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) and QFT (Quantum Field Theory) are both theoretical frameworks used to describe the interactions between particles and fields. The main difference is that QED specifically deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles, while QFT is a more general framework that can be applied to all fundamental forces. QED is a subset of QFT, focusing specifically on the electromagnetic force.

2. What are some real-world applications of QED and QFT?

QED and QFT have been used to successfully predict and explain a wide range of phenomena in particle physics, such as the behavior of electrons, positrons, and photons. These theories have also been applied in other fields, such as condensed matter physics, where they have been used to study the behavior of materials at a microscopic level.

3. What are some challenges in studying QED and QFT?

One of the main challenges in studying QED and QFT is the complexity of the mathematics involved. These theories use advanced mathematical concepts such as quantum field theory, perturbation theory, and renormalization. Another challenge is that these theories are currently not unified with other fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.

4. How does QED and QFT relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions through three of the four known fundamental forces (electromagnetic, weak, and strong). QED and QFT are both important components of the Standard Model, providing the theoretical basis for the electromagnetic force and the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

5. Are there any current research advancements in QED and QFT?

Yes, there is ongoing research in QED and QFT to further refine and improve these theories. Some current areas of research include efforts to unify QED and QFT with the other fundamental forces, as well as exploring the potential for these theories to explain phenomena beyond the Standard Model, such as dark matter and dark energy.