What is the meaning behind the letters A-M = 202 in this strange puzzle?

In summary, the problem is trying to determine what number N-Z would equal based on the given information that A-M equals 202. There are multiple possible answers, some of which involve assigning point values to vowels and consonants or using Morse code or ASCII values. However, there is not enough information to determine a definitive answer. It is also interesting to note that the letters J, K, and Z never appear in the alphabetic spelling of numbers, which could potentially be relevant to the solution.
emasik
The letters A-M = 202, therefore N-Z = ?

This is the whole problem. It's driving me nuts. Help? =(

Physics news on Phys.org
emasik said:
The letters A-M = 202, therefore N-Z = ?

This is the whole problem. It's driving me nuts. Help? =(

It could be 202 as from A-M, there are 13 letters and from N-Z, there are 13 letters or the number figure would have to equal the same. (Hope I haven't confused too much).

haha yeah, but that's too easy. If the puzzle isn't garbage the answer should be more satisfying...

if there's more than one answer, then any of these suffices, but then it becomes a "bad" riddle...

There isn't enough information to draw any conclusion about the answer.

Interesting, if very vague puzzle. I can come up with a couple answers that *work*, but they don't seem particularly correct. Something like vowels are worth so many points and consonants are worth so many. Or counting the numbers of straight versus curved lines and scoring them differently. But those don't seem particularly "right".

I suspect it's something a bit more strange, like the letters' translation into Morse code or ASCII values or something like that. It's interesting, to say the least.

Playing around, I noticed that the letters J, K, and Z never appear in the alphabetic spelling of numbers-- every other letter is represented (although "C" first appears in the number "decillion", which is WAY up there!) I found it odd, since "zillion" and "jillion" are often used to represent large made-up numbers, and those two letters (2 out of the 3) aren't even ever used in any numeric spellings, so it's quite fitting! Apparently, we need to officially define "jillion", "killion", and "zillion" so they'll show up!

DaveE

1. What is the purpose of this strange vague puzzle?

The purpose of this puzzle could be to challenge critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, or to simply provide entertainment.

2. How do I solve this strange vague puzzle?

The solution to this puzzle may require trial and error, logical reasoning, or the use of specific tools or resources. It is important to carefully observe and analyze the puzzle before attempting to solve it.

3. Can this strange vague puzzle be solved by multiple methods?

It is possible that there may be more than one way to solve this puzzle. Different individuals may approach the puzzle in different ways and come up with unique solutions.

4. Is there a time limit for solving this strange vague puzzle?

This may vary depending on the purpose of the puzzle. Some puzzles may have a time limit to add an element of challenge, while others may not have a time limit and can be solved at the individual's own pace.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for solving this strange vague puzzle?

It is always helpful to carefully examine and analyze the puzzle, break it down into smaller parts if possible, and try different approaches. Collaboration with others may also provide new insights and ideas for solving the puzzle.