Building a Paper Pipe Organ: Tips & Advice

In summary: I am wondering if the type of pipe or the way it's played is more important than the material it's made of.
Mochi
Hello,
I am trying to make a cardboard pipe organ...After a few days of research, I kind of have a idea of how the keys work, but I still have trouble on
-make a workable pipe
-make the air pass through the pipe

I have made a 16cm * 1.5 cm * 1.5 cm cardboard (thickness: 1mm) pipe , with a .5 cm * 1.5cm slot 2.5cm from the base. I put an folded cardboard near the slot to direct the air. The pipe is closed. The pipe make a very weak whistle of the G note. The sound is so weak that, most of the time, only the rushing of the air can be heard. So, I am wondering if there is a more effective way to make the cardboard pipe...

I made a testing box with a straw in it to see if the straw will get the air blow in from the side of the box. It didn't work. My teacher said I have to use a PVC pipe with rubber tubes to direct the air to the pipes to work. However, I still prefer it to be done with cardboard...I have seen the windchest done in cardboard on the internet; unfortunatly, no instruction is provided...I am thinking of a thin cardboard bounded area in which the air from the blower will go through to deliver the air to pipe, but I am scared that the small openning for the strings to control the keys will make the cardboard windchest unworkable...

May you give me some hints or advices for the cardboard pipes and windchest? Thank you very much :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mochi.
Can you perhaps reroute your strings so that dedicated openings aren't required?

This may answer all your questions:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both very much! However I still can't get my pipes to resonate...now I am testing with straw pipes, but it does not resonate unless I blow it in a certain way...

1. How many pipes are needed to build a paper pipe organ?

The number of pipes needed can vary depending on the size and complexity of the organ. On average, a small organ may have around 100 pipes, while a larger one can have up to 1000 pipes. It is important to plan and design the organ carefully to determine the exact number of pipes needed.

2. What materials are needed to build a paper pipe organ?

The main materials needed are paper tubes, cardboard, glue, scissors, and a variety of tools for cutting and shaping. Other materials such as paint, markers, and decorative paper can also be used to customize the organ.

3. How long does it take to build a paper pipe organ?

The time it takes to build a paper pipe organ can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the skill level of the builder. It can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks. It is important to take your time and be patient while constructing the organ to ensure it is built properly.

4. Can a paper pipe organ produce the same sound as a traditional pipe organ?

While a paper pipe organ may not produce the exact same sound as a traditional pipe organ, it can still produce a beautiful and unique sound. The tone and quality of the sound can be affected by the materials used and the design of the organ. Experimenting with different materials and designs can help achieve the desired sound.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a paper pipe organ?

Yes, it is important to use caution when working with tools and materials, especially when cutting and shaping the paper tubes. It is also important to make sure the organ is stable and secure when playing it to prevent any accidents. Adult supervision is recommended for younger builders.