Solving Asymptote Trouble on Scatter Plot: Regression or Line Fit?

• Thread starter CestLaVie9009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asymptote
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a regression or line of best fit for a scatter plot. A suggested equation of y=3/((x-3.75)/2.75)+9 is mentioned as a good fit, with a graph attached. The question of how to get rid of values left of an asymptote is also raised, with a suggestion to adjust the minimum x-value or find a different equation. Additional comments mention combining numbers in the equation and using Excel's Solver add-in for further improvement.
CestLaVie9009
scatter plot needs a regression? or line best fitting it.

so far y=3/((x-3.75)/2.75)+9 is a pretty good fit

graph is attached

any suggestions on how to get rid of everything left of the asymptote?

Attachments

• SCREEN08.BMP
    187.6 KB · Views: 436
  • SCREEN09.BMP
    187.6 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I do not know how your calculator works. But if you set the minimum value of x so that the bottom left curve won't be displayed, it should work. Or are you looking for another equation to fit your data?

A few comments:

The 3 and 2.75 in your equation can be combined into a single number.

As kazumi said, changing the range of x-values should get rid of the unwanted curve. Looks like x_low = 3 should work here.

If you're looking to improve the fit, it can be done in Excel. You would need to have the Solver add-in installed.

1. What is an asymptote on a scatter plot?

An asymptote is a line on a scatter plot that represents a value that a data point will never reach. It is usually a straight line that approaches but never touches the plotted points.

2. How do I know if I have asymptote trouble on my scatter plot?

If the plotted points on your scatter plot seem to be getting closer and closer to a straight line but never actually touch it, then you may have asymptote trouble.

3. How do I solve asymptote trouble on a scatter plot?

The first step is to determine if the data truly has an asymptote or if it is just a coincidence that the points appear to be approaching a straight line. If an asymptote is present, you can try using a different type of regression or line fit to better model the data.

4. What is the difference between regression and line fit?

Regression is a statistical technique used to find the relationship between variables, while line fit is a visual representation of that relationship on a scatter plot. In other words, regression is the mathematical calculation, and line fit is the plotted line on the graph.

5. Can I remove an asymptote from my scatter plot?

No, an asymptote is a characteristic of the data and cannot be removed. However, you can try different regression or line fit methods to better represent the data and minimize the appearance of the asymptote.