Complex analysis of electrostatic problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a semi-infinite sheet of conductor charged to a potential V, placed at a distance h perpendicular to a perfectly screening bulk conductor. The individual is looking to investigate the charge density on the surface of both sheets and is struggling to determine the appropriate transformation to describe the electrostatic field. They mention having solved a similar problem with a different configuration and transformation and are seeking help with applying this result to their current problem.
Morto
I'm not sure whether to post this in the Mathematics or Physics forums, but I figure this problem is easily reduced to its transformation irrespective of the physics it describes.

Consider a semi-infinite sheet of (infinitely thin) conductor charged to a potential [tex]V[/tex]. It is placed at a distance [tex]h[/tex] perpendicular to a perfectly screening bulk conductor (so the electric field is always perpendicular to the surface). See the attachment below. I want to investigate the charge density on the surface of both sheets. I'm struggling to determine the transformation that can describe the electrostatic field.

graphene1.jpg

Now, I have calculated a similar problem with a semi-infinite conducting plane paralell to an infinite conducting plane at a distance [tex]h[/tex]

graphene2.jpg

I have transformed it into the upper half-plane (so it looks like a capacitor), and I found the transformation
[tex]
z = h \left( \frac{w}{V} - \frac{1}{\pi} \left(1+ e^{-\frac{\pi w}{V}} \right) \right)
[/tex]
determines this electrostatic field. How can I transform my problem with perpendicular planes into something similar? Can I use this result, with another transformation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should have posted this in the Physics boards, because not all the Math students are familiar with electrostatic concepts (sigh).

1. What is complex analysis and how does it relate to electrostatic problems?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. In the context of electrostatic problems, complex analysis is used to simplify and solve equations that describe the behavior of electric fields and charges.

2. What are the main methods used in complex analysis to solve electrostatic problems?

The main methods used in complex analysis for solving electrostatic problems include the use of complex potential, conformal mapping, and the method of images. These methods involve transforming the problem into a simpler form that can be solved using known techniques.

3. Can complex analysis be applied to all types of electrostatic problems?

Yes, complex analysis can be applied to all types of electrostatic problems, including problems with multiple charges, conductors, and dielectric materials. It is a powerful tool for analyzing and solving complex electrostatic problems.

4. How does the use of complex analysis affect the accuracy of solutions to electrostatic problems?

The use of complex analysis can greatly improve the accuracy of solutions to electrostatic problems. It allows for the use of more sophisticated mathematical techniques, which can lead to more precise and detailed solutions.

5. What are some practical applications of complex analysis in electrostatics?

Complex analysis has many practical applications in electrostatics, including the design and analysis of electronic devices, the study of electromagnetic fields in materials, and the calculation of forces between charged objects. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving complex electrostatic problems.