Your vote for the most mysterious and wonderful of equations

• Thread starter eratosthenes2
  • Start date
In summary: But again, this is not exactly physics.Edit: I suppose one could argue that the GNS construction is a physics-related result, and it is used in the Haag-Kastler formulation of quantum mechanics, but I'm not sure that the Gelfand-Naimark theorem itself is a physics result. I'll leave it in this post for now, though.In summary, the conversation primarily revolves around discussing various equations and theorems in the fields of physics and mathematics. Some of the mentioned equations include Newton's third law, Schrodinger's equation, the second law of thermodynamics, and Euler's first law. The conversation also delves into more abstract concepts such as string theory, the gauge principle, and the
eratosthenes2
Figured this would bring interesting responses.

Mine is Newton's third law, only because of how it applies to rockets - the idea that some gun/rocket accelerates forward exactly based on the speed and mass of the bullets/exhaust is pretty weird when u think about it. That's something moving forward exactly at the rate of stuff moving backward. Seems odd.

Physics news on Phys.org
:approve: e = -1 :approve:

[tex]i^i = e^{\frac{-\pi}{2}}[/tex] (The principal value of it anyway)

C'mon folks, this is a physics thread :grumpy:

I vote for Schrodinger's Equation.

Physics-wise, I would vote for the least action principle.

The strangest is String theory, especially since it proposes nothing new except there should be a graviton... How is that different than particle physics? As for the rest of the goop, you can't even test for it. Oh... well a sparticle may show up. But once again, others also proposed super heavy particles. So that also proves nothing. 11 degrees of freedom. Gee if you are bored maybe you can make some theory with 297 invisible dimensions that explains why a cat has whiskers.

Constructe said:
Gee if you are bored maybe you can make some theory with 297 invisible dimensions that explains why a cat has whiskers.

me bored when i can constantly ponder the mysteries of the bowliverse? :rofl:

my theory is that whiskers have cats …

the cat is merely whiskers' way of producing more whiskers! :approve:

tiny-tim said:
:approve: e = -1 :approve:

that's the one that first came to my mind, except i was thinking in this form:

[tex] e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0 [/tex]

that relates the five most prominent pure numbers together in one equation.

the Additive Identity operator
the Multiplicative Identity operator
the Imaginary unit
the base of natural logarithms
and pi.

rbj said:
that's the one that first came to my mind, except i was thinking in this form:

[tex] e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0 [/tex]

If f(x) is an infinitely many times differentiable function, then:

[tex]e^{\frac{d}{dx}} f(x) = f(x + 1) [/tex]

euler+gauss+reimann=infinity

My vote is for equations involving pi. I've always been fascinated by the 3.14... relationship.

tiny-tim said:
:approve: [itex]e^{i\pi} = -1[/itex] :approve:

nah, that's just a boring identity. What does it have to say about anything?
Besides, this is a physics thread.

After a bit of thought, I suggest the following

[tex]
\frac{dQ}{dt}\ge 0
[/tex]

i.e., the second law of thermodynamics. Total entropy of a closed system can only increase over time.

It's certainly mysterious. It doesn't appear in the fundamental laws of physics, at the lowest level, but must be a consequence of them. It seems like you should be able to get around it (e.g. Maxwell's demon) but there's always a catch, and the second law always holds. It's also very important and rules all of our lives.

not really,S=k*ln(w),I just can't understand how they can define the amount of disorder in a system...

I vote for Euler's first law:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int \textbf{v} dm = \textbf{f}[/tex]

Because it covers all of continuum mechanics, including dividing surfaces.

Crosson said:
If f(x) is an infinitely many times differentiable function, then:

[tex]e^{\frac{d}{dx}} f(x) = f(x + 1) [/tex]
Hey Crosson, what is the definition of [tex]e^{\frac{d}{dx}}[/tex] ?

Am I right to assume it's the operator :

[tex][1 + \frac{d}{dx} + \frac{1}{2!} \, \frac{d^2}{dx^2} + ...][/tex].

Or does it mean something else?

[tex]\frac{Sin x}{n}[/tex] = 6

+10 cool points for anyone that figures that out. :cool:

Topher925 said:

Easy!

special case of …

[tex]\frac{Sin^m x}{n^m}\ =\ 6[/tex]

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

tiny-tim said:
Easy!

special case of …

[tex]\frac{Sin^m x}{n^m}\ =\ 6[/tex]

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

NO! But nice try though. :tongue:

EDT: Ok, Tim figured it out. Hes now 10 points cooler.

Last edited:
sp1408 said:
...I just can't understand how they can define the amount of disorder in a system...

that's the mystery part

Topher925 said:

can't believe I actually had to think about it at all...
just cancel the n
can you pop my points in the post? ta:)

[tex]1 + 2 + 3 +... = -\frac{1}{12}[/tex]

George Jones said:
Ah, that's simple : if you go all the way to infinity to the right, you come back to zero from the left. The exact value depends of course on how fast you go to infinity. Do you mention this because measuring an integer (number of dimensions) is robust ? I guess no :rolleyes:

Although it's not an equation strictly speaking, I'll vote for the gauge principle.

2+2=5

(for large values of 2)

Although it's not an equation either, and (probably?) has nothing to do with physics, but what about the http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/FundamentalTheoremOfGaloisTheory.html ? It's definitely both mysterious and wonderful. There are many beautiful results in math, but I don't think anything will ever be as satisfying to me as this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
Is that [itex]\zeta(-1)[/itex]? Mysterious maybe, not sure about wonderful though.
If I'm allowed pure maths equations, then I've always been partial to the Riemann-Roch theorem

[tex]
L(D)-L(K-D)=\mathop{deg}(D)-g+1
[/tex]

The Lefschetz fixed point theorem is also cool, as is the functional equation for the Riemann Zeta function.

Actually these 4 equations are all closely related.

gel said:
If I'm allowed pure maths equations, then I've always been partial to the Riemann-Roch theorem

[tex]
L(D)-L(K-D)=\mathop{deg}(D)-g+1
[/tex]
Funny, I was going to mention that, (and the Atiyah-Singer index theorem), but in my opinion the fundamental theorem of Galois theory trumps them both. :tongue2: Although they are certainly very satisfying too.

Another very satisfying result is the commutative Gelfand-Naimark theorem; in equation form:

[tex]\mathcal{A} \cong C_0(\sigma(\mathcal{A})).[/tex]

1. What is the most mysterious and wonderful equation?

The most mysterious and wonderful equation is often debated and subjective, but many scientists and mathematicians argue that it is Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². This equation revolutionized our understanding of energy and mass and has numerous applications in physics, including the development of nuclear energy and the study of black holes.

2. What does E=mc² stand for?

E=mc² stands for energy (E) equals mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared. This equation shows the relationship between energy and mass, suggesting that they are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

3. Why is E=mc² considered mysterious and wonderful?

E=mc² is considered mysterious and wonderful because it challenges our understanding of the universe and has been proven to be accurate through numerous experiments. It also has profound implications for our understanding of energy and mass, and its applications have greatly impacted the fields of physics and engineering.

4. How is E=mc² used in everyday life?

While E=mc² is a fundamental equation in physics, it has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in the development of nuclear power and weapons, medical imaging technology, and even GPS systems. The equation also plays a role in understanding the energy and mass of the universe and the formation of celestial bodies.

5. Can E=mc² be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, E=mc² has been applied to other areas of science, including chemistry and biology. In chemistry, the equation is used to understand the energy released during chemical reactions. In biology, it has been applied to the study of metabolism and the energy conversions that occur in living organisms. E=mc² has also been used in economics and finance to understand the relationship between energy, mass, and money.